Hellebores at OC 's

A forum to discuss and share pictures of Helleborus plants.
New Topic Post Reply
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Hellebores at OC 's

Post by oldcoot »

:D :D :D In spite of low temps, 18-22, this Hellebore decided to bloom. It had bloomed several times before, OC saw when he got out there, but apparently they froze.

Enjoy
Attachments
Framed Hellebore.jpg
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
tsneal

Post by tsneal »

So pretty OC!
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

Hi John,

Don't know what varietal this one is, but it's been in bloom for us since Christmas, here in (sometimes) Sunny B.C. I have another small Hellebore seedling a neighbour gave me last year and its lone bud fell prey about 3 weeks ago to a since deceased rodent and I won't get a good idea of what it looks like now until a year from now :cry:
Attachments
P1280081.jpg
P1280081.jpg (51.28 KiB) Viewed 8169 times
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
oldcoot

Sure look very close don't they

Post by oldcoot »

Mine came from my mother's yard after she passed away and we moved a LOT of her "stuff" down here. She also had a green & white one that hasn't bloomed yet (or at least OC hasn't seen it)

Thanks for you showing me "yours"....OC
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
oldcoot

OC has a few more blooms

Post by oldcoot »

but he sure can't get out to take pictures. After the snow last week, falling on top of a saturated ground is now a quagmire. OC would need a SWAMP boat to glide out there.
But we in SC are pretty lucky. By March one, we will have Daffodils blooming that don't get frozen and looks like a nice crop of Tulips coming up and lots of new Crocus planted last fall swill be blooming.

Come Spring - OC will make you some pictures of those pretty Hellebore's.
oldcoot

Large bed of beautiful Hellebores

Post by oldcoot »

Got a real chuckle about the snow. Last one we had. It is only in the last week that it HAS dried out enough to get out there and see what is going on. Sue glad he did. All his
Hellebore's are in full bloom. With them calling for three straight days of rain , OC sure is glad he went out this week....
Attachments
Helleb ores - 07.jpg
Last edited by oldcoot on Mar 15, 2007 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Wow John, those look great. Looks like a lot of blooms. They must be very happy. Nice pic. :P
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
oldcoot

They are getting some age on them

Post by oldcoot »

They actually came from my Mother's before she died. Brought them down and planted them for us. When we moved, OC moved them to where the are now. Get a lot of sun in the winter and early spring, but When the leaves COME OUT, LOTS OF SHADE. not ENOUGH SUN TO RAISE EITHER IRIS OR LILIUMS IN THAT BED. But they have seemed to do real well there........OC saying thank you Lord for his pretty blooms this year.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Thanks for sharing, these are becoming a favorite with us here.
oldcoot

Thank you so much

Post by oldcoot »

OC just wishes his mother could see them now, and he is betting she does, to see how much they have grown......
oldcoot

Well OC's swamp finally drained

Post by oldcoot »

:D :D :D and he could get out to see his really well. These also came from his Mother's place

These were made with his 300 mm lens set on Macro setting. Didn't even have to step over into the bed. Miss Joy liked that.........Enjoy........OC is
Attachments
Green &White Helleores.jpg
Green &White Helleores.jpg (47.86 KiB) Viewed 7870 times
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Look at what Mother Nature gifted you with!! Seedpods from heaven!! I spent all day digging out last years babies so I could give Mom more room to drop more seeds! :wink:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
oldcoot

This really has been an amazing Hellebore year for OC

Post by oldcoot »

:D :D :D Believe the Good Lord has really blessed them this year. Look at all these Lavender blooms......

OC
Attachments
07 Lav - Hellbores HRZ.jpg
07 Lav - Hellbores HRZ.jpg (23.61 KiB) Viewed 7861 times
oldcoot

Andd the good Lord CONTINUES to bess this bed

Post by oldcoot »

Tomorrow we are going to lift ALL of them, clean off the little ones and re-plant in a larger cleaned out bed with new Dirt. Believe it just might make them all grow better....

OC with a great BIG smile over these pretty pictures........
Attachments
Raised Bed Hellebores-07 (2).jpg
Raised Bed Hellebores-07 (2).jpg (33.36 KiB) Viewed 7796 times
New Topic Post Reply