Late Bloom

A forum to discuss and share pictures of Helleborus plants.
New Topic Post Reply
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Late Bloom

Post by kHT »

I was doing the fall clean up and got to the Hellebores section and look what I found up under the huge leaves!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
mcplant

Re: Late Bloom

Post by mcplant »

Great picture. And great find.
I too have noticed a few Hellebores with flowers.
I am in zone 9 and don't have near enough shade, so this is an experiment sort of.
Do you prune or cut back the older leaves?
Is it true they want to be dormant in the summer?
Thanks for all your posts.
Dennis
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Hey mcplant, These at one time were in shade and with the loss of the big tree a couple years ago they now only have a little shade until the trees grow taller. The weather this year is so screwed up, I too haven't put the winter clothes away. I have had to get them out now 5 different times. These were found in the back by the cooler retaining wall when I was cutting back the older leaves. August the 15th is my day of the year when I start thinning out the yard so that when the tropicals are in bloom there is less green. This is the first year we have noted the leaves turning deeper on the edge and I've had to do a lot of spraying for critter this year so we were happy to get them gone. We allow them to do their thing all year until now when we trim them back as I have to clean up the retaining walls. We just let them flower, grow and the fall cut them back. Real simple. . . . . We have planted some of the babies in the back hosta area and on the north side of the house where they live in the shade. We will see how they grow out back before deciding to move the mother plants or not.
Have you checked out our site, lots of fun and adventures there! :wink:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
mcplant

Post by mcplant »

Thanks KHT,
I appreciate your response and sharing of information.
I did go and check out your website and I will return to dig a little deeper.
Thanks again,
Dennis
New Topic Post Reply