3 new heuchera

Discuss and share pictures of plants in the genus Heuchera and the hybrid genus Heucherella, commonly known as coral bells and foamy bells.
jay dee

3 new heuchera

Post by jay dee »

Today I got three new ones and they are GORGEOUS. I hope they bloom this year because I would love to try the seed next year. Key Lime Ice, chartreuse green - Creme Brulee, chartreuse newer leaves turning an amber-ish older leaf and Peach Melba, peach colored leaves.

They will live in the vicinity of Potomac Pride, Paradigm and Gold Standard. In my mind, this combination should be awsome.

jay dee
Greygardener

Post by Greygardener »

Wow! Looked these 3 up and they ARE beautiful. And I like your choice of combination with the hostas! Can't wait to see this bed!
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

O.C. has a question.

Post by oldcoot »

O.C. planted a Heucherra - MARMELAIDE last fall that he got with some fall bulbs he had ordered. He planted it in October in with some Hosta and it was about three weeks before he got his first frost. He went out yesterday to look for it, but it was nowhere to be seen (and he had it well marked )

Question, for futere reference was it too late to plant ?? Might it comes back up later ? or can he just kiss his money good-bye ? He didn't know if they die back like hosty do and hten come back up...

That FUNNY and VERY FRIENDLY Old Coot saying, he SURE is glad Spring is finally here....For him, and hopes it will be for you soon.
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
John

Post by John »

OC, Marmalade is one of the very few Heuchera I've ever lost... and it was SO beautiful too, like Amber Waves but prettier. My Heuchera even here in NJ are all practically evergreen, so I'd expect you to see some signs of yours by now. I am going to try this one again, it is that nice. Perhaps yours did not have enough time to become established before winter.
oldcoot

O.C. looked real good the other day

Post by oldcoot »

when he and Danny cleaned out the bed it had been planted in, Guess it just didn' tmake it.....Just planted three O.C. got from CHris and will see hoiw THEY do..''John
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Jay Dee I hope your new heuchera do really well for you. I had planned to start a couple of those this year but didn't get a chance.

Andn OC, we moved many of our Heuchera last fall in October and November and only lost a few. The ones we lost were from the same varieties so I don't think it was so much the late planting as either a small plant or maybe just that variety. We lost a lot of Heuchera Marmalade over the winter too but the ones that survived were the most evergreen of any of our plants and are coming back very strong. But like I said, we did lose quite a few, and those had been planted in the summer :???:

Personally I am getting tired of repeatedly poor performance from some of the plants from Terra Nova. I've spoken with other growers who've had the same problems we have with specific species and cultivars so it's not just us. I just don't think their plants are tested that well and are probably rushed to the market. The pacific northwest, where these plants are developed, is a lot different than the rest of the country. I just get sick when nearly an entire tray of 72 plants of something fails to come up over the winter when they had grown just fine all summer, yet the same specie on either side of those plants, planted in the same conditions at the same time come up big and beautiful...

Oh, well, that is part of the cost of doing business! I'm sure I'll still be lured into buying another "new" plant from Terra Nova again this year anyway :lol:
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

I'd love to see pictures if you get a chance to take any photos and post them... they sound wonderful :)

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

Chris -- I had that experience with Amber Waves, which I got from Plant Delights, and planted right between two of my deep purple/silver heucheras that I'd grown from seed. Halfway through the summer, the Amber Waves disappeared, although the rest of the Heuchs in the same area were thriving. I chalked it up to having bought a plant that was raised in a warmer climate, and although it supposedly is hardy here in Zone 4, it just wasn't acclimated to our weather. I've not bought any more of the gold/orange/light yellow heuchs, and I won't until I see how they do in other people's gardens. Phyllis
Dee
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Dee »

Picked up a Peach Melba myself today. I bought Marmalade last fall and it is coming back nicely...smaller than my other heuchs but that's okay as long as it lives. Bought a silver/purpley one called Hollywood, too. Just one of each as they are a bit pricey. I'll see how they do over a whole growing season and winter before I pick up more. :)
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

jay dee, I don't have any of those.....I bet they are pretty!! :D

Awwwww Phyllis.....I have 3 of those Amber Waves, and love them.....I bet you can find on locally now.....and put it in light.....My biggest one is in all day sun....it's doing great!
IBOY

Post by IBOY »

Chris, I heard that you thought the Terra Nova Annual Plant Catalog meant that you get a new CATALOG every year.
Don
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I'm addicted to Heucheras too!! :roll: These sound wonderful - where can I see what they look like?

I think the orange shaded ones need more light than the others since they aren't as vigorous as the ones with darker colors.

The only Heucheras I've been able to resist so far are the ones that were about $15 ea. [for a 4" pot] - it was the new planet [?] series at one of the more expensive Omaha nurseries.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Paid a lot of money this weekend (hey, it was charity, and there was wine) for 3 pots of Lime Rickey and 3 pots of Hollywood. Turns out the 3 pots of Hollywood, on closer inspection, each contained 3 TC liners (barely more). The Lime Rickeys were fuller, and nicer looking than ones I saw the next day at a good nursery.

Thinking of doing something dramatic with Obsidian and Marmalade. Are all of these TN introductions? We've had pretty good luck with heucheras (since h. americana and h. villosa are wild, if rare, in our woods, I think their hybrids should do well enough).

David
notmartha
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by notmartha »

there are so so so many i want
But so far this is whats coming---so far!

Heucheras-
H. Autumn Haze
H. Cancan
H. Chinook
H. Chocolate Veil
H. Ebony & Ivory
H. Geisha's Fan
H. Green Spice
H. Gypsy Dancer
H. Plum Pudding
H. Starry Night
H. Tango
then there are these:

Heucherella-
Birthday Cake
Burnished Bronze

Tiarellas
Inkblot
Mint Chocolate
Seafoam
Spanish Cross
Spring Symphony
Sugar n' Spice
Dark Star.

Geranium "Midnight Reiter"

I had to have something to add to the new hosta bed!
:roll: :o
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Notmartha, I have 5 of your heuchera list, 1 of the heucherellas, and 3 of your tiarellas. LOL Guess I did my shopping already [last year]. :lol: You sure you have room for hostas in the new bed with all of those?? :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Maureen_Ottawa

Post by Maureen_Ottawa »

Hi all,

I have discovered, as Chris has, that not all heucheras are hardy. So for reference, here's my experience with the one's that I've grown.

Good growers in my zone 4/5 garden in light shade

Ebony and Ivory
Checkers
Vesuvius
Lime Rickey
Whirlwind
Cherries Jubiliee
Obsidian
Ring of Fire
Regina
Hearts of Fire
Swirling Fantasy