Silver Scrolls question.

Discuss and share pictures of plants in the genus Heuchera and the hybrid genus Heucherella, commonly known as coral bells and foamy bells.
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Silver Scrolls question.

Post by party_music50 »

Hi --

I got Silver Scrolls last year... it was a very small plant when I bought it, and it has since grown nicely, but the leaves on it are considerably smaller than any of my other Heucheras. Is this normal for SS? or does it just take a while for it to really get going?
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I don't have Silver Scrolls so I really can't help you too much, but as long as the plant is doing well, it should be just fine. If it was a small plant when you got it, then that could be a reason. Give it some fertilizer & keep it watered [if you aren't already doing that] & see what it does next year.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
janet

Post by janet »

Hello. I have Silver Scrolls and several other heuchs, but I am certainly no expert (they must have all gone away for the holiday?). I can only relate what happens in my zone 4 garden if that will help ease your mind any. Silver Scrolls has leaves about the size of Lime Rickey, on the smaller side when compared to some of the larger plants. Overall it's a smaller plant and the leaves are certainly in proportion to the rest of it. Like yours, mine is in its second year. Does that help any? And by all means, Welcome to Hallson's! :D
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
party_music50

Post by party_music50 »

Thanks for the welcome, Janet. :)

I don't have Lime Rickey for a comparison (it's on order).... I decided to pot and baby the Silver Scrolls this spring, and it's flowering now and definitely "in proportion" overall. I actually like the smaller size because it's in proportion with my small gardens :) -- I just didn't expect it because it was recommended by the seller as being a "good grower" and wondered if I got an inferior 'runt of the litter', so to speak. :roll:

Thanks for the replies!
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
michael_QvQ

Post by michael_QvQ »

Silver Scrolls is one of the better heuchs :) and yes, it is smallish... its dad was H Petite Bronze.
Heuchs are native to cracks and crevices and need the good drainage... i've had them in pots and containers, in an airy mix, for years. Also, they are moderate to light feeders.
party_music50

Post by party_music50 »

This is my Silver Scrolls. I potted it up for awhile, and recently planted it. It's looking nice, I think -- but it is a small one:
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
New Topic Post Reply