Creme de Menthe

Discuss and share pictures of plants in the genus Heuchera and the hybrid genus Heucherella, commonly known as coral bells and foamy bells.
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Creme de Menthe

Post by party_music50 »

I stopped at a new local nursery last weekend (just uploaded the pics). I *loved* this when I saw it, but had never heard of 'Creme de Menthe' Heuchera:

I've since searched on-line and found only one thumbnail image of CdM, and it shows it as being silvery. Given the name, I would have expected it to be green. So... does anyone else have CdM? Does this appear as expected?

I *doubt* if it was mismarked. They had two huge trays full of them in 4" pots -- and every one had the same professionally printed tag (full info).

What do you think?
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
party_music50

Post by party_music50 »

BTW: the one odd leaf at the front is from Marmalade, and the heuch to the back right is Purple Petticoats (in case you thought it was extra weird. lol!)
~~~ Audrey ~~~
impatience

Post by impatience »

I don't know anything about it, but it is a beauty. Lots of "tastes" in these new heuchera names. :D
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Very pretty! Seems to me that I have something with the name Creme DeMenthe,but I can't find record of it. Maybe I'm imagining it or just saw some at a nursery and the name stuck in my head? :???:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

My guess is that the whole tray is mismarked. People in nurseries don't always know what they are marking, and if they're given the tags, they stick them in! I've seen C de M before, and it is, indeed, green and silver. Phyllis
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I'll have to look back at some of this year's posts, but it looks like another one someone posted a pic of that has one of the drink/food names. Can't think of it at the moment though, but probly put out by the same co. as CdM which could help explain the tag mix-up.

Almost forgot to add that it is gorgeous!! :cool: :P
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

OK - I found the one I was thinking of: Ginger Ale.

viewtopic.php?t=39805

The coloring of the leaf is similar to yours. The 'veins' in yours look more burgundy, but they possibly darken as the season goes along.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

I'm not sure about the coloring of Creme d. Menthe, but I HAVE seen flats and flats of plants mislabeled at nurseries. Especially if it's a newer variety, many times the nursery people aren't familiar enough with the plants to realize that they are all mislabeled. It would be worth a call to the nursery to have them ask their supplier to check. I've done that before, and if you ask them nicely, they are usually really good about it.

Good luck, and keep us posted if you do find out what it is for sure.

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
party_music50

Post by party_music50 »

Well, I questioned two whole flats being mismarked... but they are the type of pot that has a slot for the tag, and if the entire batch of tags was sent separately I guess it could happen.

I was wondering if it might be Creme Brulee. In any case, many photos I see of any given Heuchera cultivar appear different from other photos of the same type. Growing conditions make a huge difference. We'll see how it colors up (or down) as the season progresses. :)
~~~ Audrey ~~~
party_music50

Post by party_music50 »

I couldn't resist... I went back to the nursery and bought myself another Creme de Menthe. It was from the same trays, and ALL of them were now this color (my original one is altering color too, I think):

It had to have been the age or growing conditions that made the difference!
~~~ Audrey ~~~
New Topic Post Reply