This year's seedlings -- looking grown-up

Discuss and share pictures of plants in the genus Heuchera and the hybrid genus Heucherella, commonly known as coral bells and foamy bells.
GrannyNanny

This year's seedlings -- looking grown-up

Post by GrannyNanny »

Here are three pics of some of this year's batch. Only one has bloomed, so I don't know what kind of flowers they'll produce. This year I'm only collecting seeds from heucheras that have the bigger flowers, and we'll see what I get from those. These, however, are going out into the garden next year -- they're in a nursery bed now. Phyllis
Attachments
Web2 heuch seedlings 2006 7 29.jpg
Web Heuch seedlings 2006 7 29.jpg
Web Heuchera seedlings 2006 7 29.jpg
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

In this batch, one more seedling from this year, and two from previous years. The "Emperor's Cloak" is a green seedling from a burgundy pod parent -- it got the ruffles but not the color! Phyllis

Please ignore the grass and weeds -- it's been too hot to tidy up any gardens!!!
Attachments
Web Heuch sdlng frm 2005 7 29 06.jpg
Web Heuch sdlng grn emp cloak.jpg
Web Heuch sdlng rffld 2006 7 29.jpg
Web Heuch sdlng rffld 2006 7 29.jpg (55.59 KiB) Viewed 2862 times
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

Very nice Phyllis! I've never actually collected seed and germinated them myself, but I do have many volunteer on their own every year, and I love all of them. It's amazing the color variations that show up!

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

Nice!!!

I've always deadheaded! -- I won't completely deadhead this year, I think. lol! I've already collected seeds from a couple different heucheras and would like to experiment with starting them from seed. Just wondering if you think I'd have enough time in my zone-5 garden to sow now? or should I wait until spring to try? (I've had great success with sowing things like foxglove, hesperis, and sweet william now)
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Very nice, Phyllis. I'm going to try growing some this year, thanks to your inspiration.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

Party Music -- you could just sprinkle the seeds where you want them to grow, but you'll get much faster germination and bigger plants if you grow them inside under lights during the winter. Heucheras sown in January will be a nice, plant-out-able size by May. The ones in the first three pics were all sown in January of 2006 and grown in my basement under lights. Phyllis
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

Thanks for that info. I was thinking it would be the best thing to do (i.e., wait). it's not something I do well. lol!
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
Maureen_Ottawa

Post by Maureen_Ottawa »

You've got some very pretty foliage there. Now all you need is to get good blooms. I've given up on buying foliage only heucheras as I don't have space anymore.

Good luck.
Maureen
Ottawa, Ontario
New Topic Post Reply