Yeah! Im not alone!

Discuss and share pictures of plants in the genus Heuchera and the hybrid genus Heucherella, commonly known as coral bells and foamy bells.
Brenda

Yeah! Im not alone!

Post by Brenda »

Hi everyone,

I have just spent the last 2 hours reading all the posts in this forum. Finally, people who share my love of heucheras, yipee! My family just roll their eyes and start to glass over when I mention heucheras. Although, I will give my mom credit in that she is starting to fall in love with them too :lol:

It all started with palace purple and a pond in shade. I was told a pond in shade would never work and I would never find that many interesting plants to put in shade. After researching on the net and making a list, I began to lust after heucheras. The lust grew and became an all consuming must have them all passion. It is so bad, I actually compiled a list of all the named cultivars that exist. Spent many a nights working on that one. Now in the spring, when the new ones are released I am compelled to update the list. I think I need to get out more. My addiction is soo bad, I went to a nursery auction just to get heucheras (gypsy dancer and velvet night are the ones I came home with)

I found this forum after trying to identify 3 plants I picked up at Home depot that did not have tags. I actually got 4 but caramel was named. I am in awe of all the beautiful photos I have seen posted here. I am also feeling an urge to attempt growing some from seed (I think my family will take away my gardening priviledges if I do :lol: ).

Off the top of my head, the ones I have so far are:
-palace purple
-Dales Strain
-Amber Waves (huge disappointment, never got any bigger that a couple of inches. Although, I noticed the other day that the 2nd one suddenly grew a few leaves beside Lime Rickey)
-Lime Rickey x 2 (grows really well for me)
-Petite Pearl Fairy
-Obsidian
-Velvet Night
-Gypsy Dancer
-Gingerale
-Silver Scrolls
-Autumn Haze
-Ring of Fire
-Peach Flambe
-Strawberry Swirl
-Crimson Curls
-Sparkling Burgundy
-Plum Pudding
-White Marble
-Marmelade
-Creme Brulee
-Caramel
-Frosted Violet
-Had Amethyst Mist but a squirrel decided she liked the purple ones and stole my neighbors and started on mine. She only got that one (stole the whole plant right out of the planter. Came home to find a few leaves trailing to the back tree ) :x
-Pewter Veil

and 3 unnamed varieties.

There are others but I cant think of the names right now (as I mentally stroll throught the garden).

Topping my list of must haves is definately mardi gras after seeing the photos of it. Of course, they all are on the list of must haves. So far this year, I have bought sparkling burgundy, peach flambe, gingerale (really, really like this one), gypsy dancer, velvet night, caramel, the 3 unmarked ones, and am contemplating picking up dolce liquorice, mocha mint and creme de menthe.

I also have several heucherellas and tiarellas and have discovered brunneras as well.

I look forward to spending time here (although my wallet might not thank me).

Brenda
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Morning Brenda!! Welcome to Hallsons!!

Boy that is quite a list!! I like them too, but found that after a year or two mine seem to just crap out and then I dig them up and re-plant....some do well and some don't......Have you ever tried starting them from seeds? Oh man, they are the most fun things to do.....they are the tiniest and grow fast.....plus you get all kinds of colors.....GrannyNanny (Phyllis) is who taught us how.....did you ever come across her threads?

Have fun in the forums and any questions, just ask!! :D
Brenda

Post by Brenda »

Yes I saw the thread by Phyllis on how to start them by seed. That was planted the idea in my brain (that and all the beautiful photos of the little heuchera babies). I have never attempted to grow by seed. Every year I say i am going to do it and every year it is too late by the time I think of it. The sad thing is I have a closet full of seed trays, pots, etc that I bought when White Rose (garden store, craft store sell a little of everything) went out of business and my grandma gave me her brand new grow light (the thing is huge) that she bought with gift certificates her kids gave her for Christmas. She stopped growing from seed and used it maybe twice at the most. I have yet to use it. My family keeps threatening to give it to someone else but grandma wanted me to have it and her sewing machine so they leave it alone. Now I havean excuse to start using it :D .

In all fairness to one of my family members, I do have an Aunt that loves heucheras about as much as me. Her first love is hostas (I told her about the HVX last year) but she is holding off buying new hostas (mainly due to the cost and possibility they might have the virus) and is now moving towards more heucheras, pulmonarias, heucherellas, tiarellas etc.

Brenda
John

Post by John »

Hi Brenda, and welcome!

I also love the Heucheras and family. My biggest 'discovery' was that they are not at their best in shade, although they are so often considered shade-plants. The burgundy and purple leaved-ones turn green in too much shade. Mine have been moved around also, and do best in full sun, but kept moist, and yet well-drained. Some varieties seem more challenging than others to keep alive... Oh, and Tiarellas DO like a little more shade; heucherellas somewhere in between.

John
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Brenda...I have a growing love of heucheras also. You have a fantastic list of plants! My list is slowly growing and I'm just now finding out how well some of them grow and others don't. Welcome to Hallson's! :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
rakenleafs

Post by rakenleafs »

Hi Brenda,
After years of trying to get a Coral Bell to grow, I gave up and said we'll just let God take care of that one. This year while looking around my gardens for a few companion plants for a new Hosta garden I came across this sad little Purple Palace. I moved it to the new garden and even with the heat this summer it has just blossomed into a beautiful plant. I have bought a couple more varieties and they too are doing well.
So yes, now I think I have a new addiction. (Is this how it starts?)
I too started looking for all the varieties to make a list.. I have found 114. Have you found any central location for this info or have you been gathering bits and pieces as I am finding. Is there a Heuchera Society?

Fran
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit..
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in fruit salad.
rakenleafs Hosta Lists
John

Post by John »

Fran, here is the best listing of many varieties I've found:

http://www.lucsperennialworld.com/heuchera/index.html

He has some nice photos, also.

Luc is in The Netherlands.
rakenleafs

Post by rakenleafs »

Great photos John, thanks for the link.
rakenleafs Hosta Lists
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I discovered a couple of years ago that heucheras are just as addictive as hostas - there just aren't as many of them. :wink: And that's probly a good thing. LOL

So fun to read your posts, Brenda - your enthusiasm for heucheras certainly comes thru!! :P Welcome to the forums!!
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Now youv'e gone and done it John! I have been reading about Heucheras and thinking I would like to have a couple. Then you post that link and I open it. Bad, Bad, Bad for me !!! :lol:

Now I want some so bad but trying to wait until we sell & move to bigger lot. I can't wait to have room for hosta again (we kept being drawn to the big ones and Dh to the Blues)

If DH knew what I have pictured in my mind what I want to do he'd kill me!! :lol: :lol:

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Brenda

Post by Brenda »

John,

I have most of mine in some kind of sun (partial, morning, afternoon etc). I agree, the sun brings out the best in them. The only ones in mostly shade are palace purple, dales strain and obsidian.

Fran,

I have compiled the list from various places. I have over 200 on the list :o Only problem is I started and saved the list on my computer at work. We are switching computers at work and not everything got transferred (my list being one of them). I am hoping I have it saved on a disk but wont know til I go back to work next week. I havent found a heuchera society yet but be careful this is how the addiction starts. I have had Lucs site book marked for awhile.

Renaldo,

You should see me in the nurseries, I start to drool, my eyes become glazed and I am lost for hours walking through the heucheras (and sometimes the heucherellas). I have one nursery I love to go to and look at all the different ones (only problem is the cost otherwise I would have a lot more of them), complete tunnel vision and I lose ALL track of time.

Brenda
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

That sounds fairly normal for me in a nursery. :P
Just keep a little cloth with you at all times to dab up the drool. :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Minnow
USDA Zone: 6
Location: Henderson County 35 19' 12.15" N 82 35' 40.40" W Elevation2143

Post by Minnow »

Indigos & lavenders & purples & silvers are my second favorite colors after chartreuse & greens of the hosta! My list of Heucheras is at the 90 mark right now! :o :oops: :wink: I am glad that I have only gotten into daylilies
! :???:

I will post a list later! Yes I am obsessed & also out of control! :roll:

Here it is! It is at 108. Obviousley I haven't been keeping count!

Amber Waves
Amethyst Myst
Autumn Haze

Beauty of Color
Black Beauty
Black Bird
Brownies
Burgundy Frost

Can Can
Cappuccino
Caramel
Cascade Dawn
Cathedral Windows
Chinook
Chocolate Ruffles
Chocolate Veil
City Lights
Cinnabar Silver
Color Dream
Crème Brulee
Crimson Curls
Crown Jewel

Ebony & Ivory
Emperor’s Cloak
Eden’s Mystery

Fandango
Fantasia
Fireworks
French Velvet
Frosted Violet

Geisha’s Fan
Ginger Ale
Green Spice
Gypsy Dancer

Harmonic Convergence
Hearts on Fire
Hollywood

Jade Gloss
Jupiter

Key Lime Pie

Lime Rickey

Magic Color
Mardi Gras
Marmalade
Mars
Midnight Burgandy
Midnight Claret
Midnight Rose
Mint Frost
Mini Mouse
Molly Bush
Monet
Montrose Ruby

Neptune

Obsidian

Palace Purple
Paprika
Peach Flambé
Peachy Keen
Peppermint Spice
Persian Carpet
Petite Marbled Burgundy
Petite Pearl Fairy
Petite Ruby Frills
Pewter Moon
Pewter Veil
Pink Marble
Plum Pudding
Prince
Prince of Orange
Purple Mountain Majesty
Purple Sails
Purple Petticoats

Quilter’s Joy

Raspberry Ice
Raspberry Regal
Rave On
Regal Robe
Regina
Ring of Fire
Rose Mirrors
Royal Velvet
Ruby Ruffles
Ruby Veil

Sashay
Saturn
Shamrock
Shenandoah Mountain
Silver Scrolls
Silver Light
Silver Lode
Silver Maps
Silver Shadows
Smokey Rose
Snow Angel
Snow Fire
Sparkling Burgundy
Starry Night
Stormy Seas
Swirling Fantasy

Tango
Taff’s Joy

Van Gogh
Vanilla Spice
Veil of Passion
Velvet Night
Venus
Vesuvius
Elizabeth

No man needs a vacation as bad as the man who has just had one.
rakenleafs

Post by rakenleafs »

WOW Thats a lot! I think I am going to go slow creating this obsession. I hear some Heurchea can be difficult so for now the six I have will have to grow and flurish (Not that fall is slowing me down or anything, new story come spring I am sure)

Palace Purple, flurishing without my help
Snow Angel (my favorite)
Regina
Firefly
Key Lime Pie (my favorite)
Ruby Bells

and 1 lone Hellebore - Stoplight, who has lost his red, not sure if its the heat or what.

Fran
rakenleafs Hosta Lists
New Topic Post Reply