Heuchera seedlings popping up

Discuss and share pictures of plants in the genus Heuchera and the hybrid genus Heucherella, commonly known as coral bells and foamy bells.
maidofshade

Heuchera seedlings popping up

Post by maidofshade »

I have alot of heuchera seedlings and have actually transplanted a bunch of 4 leaved ones. I can't tell yet much about them because the little devils all look pretty green to me. How soon before you can see any adult traits??
And any tricks to grow them on?
Thanks in advance!
Cheryl
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

You should begin to see things like silvery patterns on the leaves after the first few leaves. The color (purple or whatever) should be obvious early on. Grow them on with potting soil mixed with about 1/3 perlite, so the growing medium is very light and doesn't get waterlogged. That's about the only thing that will kill these babies -- too much water held in the soil. Phyllis
maidofshade

Post by maidofshade »

Here is an update on my seedlings. I have got about 20 4 inch pots with some very nice purplish and reddish leaved plants. No plain green ones they all seem to resemble the Palace purple type but they are lovely compared to the tiny tiny things that popped up in the tray. I will definately try this again next year using seeds collected from the newer varieties I planted out late summer.
Thanks for the posting about growing them Phyllis. :P It is true that they are slowwwww till they get to about nickel size. I also took some cuttings in late fall and they are just starting to send out a few new leaves.
Cheryl
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi Cheryl!!

Oh you will love how the heuchera's grow into real plants...I remember when I first did them......So much fun!! It was Phyllis's seeds....I still have some in the gardens.....Heuch seeds are the most fun..... :D
New Topic Post Reply