Baby Pictures

Discuss and share pictures of plants in the genus Heuchera and the hybrid genus Heucherella, commonly known as coral bells and foamy bells.
maidofshade

Baby Pictures

Post by maidofshade »

Here are some Babies planted in November
Attachments
img00011.jpg
img00011.jpg (8.23 KiB) Viewed 3637 times
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

What cute little babies! Hope they will all grow well for you. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
toomanyanimals
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by toomanyanimals »

nice babies! :D
Be not simply good; be good for something.
Henry David Thoreau
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Oh, those are cute! What variety?
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
maidofshade

Post by maidofshade »

These are just some seeds from Palace Purple and some old green ones that I have no idea what they are. I just pulled on the dried flower heads and put all the "dust" into a coffee filter. Then I planted the dust using Granny Nanny's directions.
I have added many new ones last year but had no flowers--so can't wait to see what I can get out of the newer variety seeds next year.
I love to use huechera as filler plants everywhere and have some friends with eyes on extras.
They are slow growing at first but patience pays off.
Attachments
IMG00003.JPG
IMG00003.JPG (26.5 KiB) Viewed 3511 times
IMG00001.JPG
IMG00001.JPG (47.61 KiB) Viewed 3511 times
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

How lovely!!! Thanks for sharing your photos. I never liked Heuchera before 'cuz I didn't like the blooms and the only ones I had seen were the ordinary green/gray ones. But I never used to like hosta flowers either!!! Can't hardly remember that time now, especially since I have discovered growing hosta from seed. Wow, was I missing that boat! I used to cut all the flowers off!

I love the new Heuchera! I feel a passion coming on, kinda like the one I have for hostas and the new coneflowers. I am afraid to even start looking at daylilies and orchids. My habit already costs me lots of money!

Are Granny Nanny's directions something you can share, or is it a topsecret recipe?
Charla
maidofshade

Post by maidofshade »

Charla
I am loving the Huecheras also!! The newer ones are spectacular!! You can find Grannys instructions on page 2
of this forum. Look at the old posts here and you will see her amazing looking seedlings. This was my inspiration to try my own seedling this year.
The well draining soil is so true when you transplant to bigger containers make sure your soil is light and fluffy--I had to redo some of mine cause the cheap potting soil I had was very heavy-- I added lots of perlite to keep things on the lighter side.
Thanks for the nice comments but I think Granny Nanny is the master :wink:
Cheryl
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Charla

You might as well wave the white flag and surrender right now! :lol: My first love are daylilies & coneflowers also. Always liked hosta but did not have good space for them. Now I do.

Bought first heuchura last fall but left it at old house. I to have felt that funny feeling and they are now on my must get some list!! :lol:

Claudia :D
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
toomanyanimals
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by toomanyanimals »

This is the second year in a row I've tried growing them ... I must be doing something wrong ... no germination what so ever!!!! :roll:

You are sooo lucky!!!
Be not simply good; be good for something.
Henry David Thoreau
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Cute :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Libby

Post by Libby »

Healthy looking babies! I better look up those instructions because mine were a complete failure.

Good news though, I'm seeing some heucheras beginning to show life in the garden with just a few days of warmer temps and sun!
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

We had warm days - the last few - and I cleaned up my beds today. I have lots of little baby heuchera leaves under the older ones! It was awesome! Couldn't see them till I started moving stuff away. After I uncovered everything and cleaned leaves etc. from the beds, everything got a little sun and fresh air and there were things poking thru that weren't there this morning! Awesome! We have possibility for frost for about another 5 weeks yet, so I don't want to rush them, but it sure looked good this afternoon! The colors in Creme Brulee almost looked neon they were so bright next to all the colorlessness....
Charla
maidofshade

Post by maidofshade »

It was in the 60's today--in fact we broke a record. I was looking around outside (we still have snow in places) and I could see the purples of Amethyst Mist and Velvet night to name a couple. Some of the leaves on them looked just like they did last summer. I'm sure we are still in for some cold but was it ever nice to see a little life outside today. I also have some daffs coming up and saw a hosta?? poking through which I promptly covered up with a nice patch of leaves and snow. Spring is definately coming and I CAN"T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got the DH a portible greenhouse 4X8 for his birthday today and we will use it to harden off some of the stuff we have growing in the main sunspace. SOON the babies will be going out there in a few short weeks. :D :D :D
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Cute babies!! I didn't do any this year...

Thanks for sharing! They are so much fun!! :D
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Ohhhh!, maidofshade, a greenhouse! You'll be ruined, or rooont, as I usually say it. I have a small greenhouse, and it is packed full!!! I am trying to get a room addition to it, but I haven't talked hubby into it yet. I think he frequently regrets building the first one! You'll have loads of fun with that! Be sure to let me know when you have caught the bug and decide to expand....I'll give you till next month! Ha, ha :lol:
Charla
maidofshade

Post by maidofshade »

I bought it for him...Well I guess I did :lol: :lol: I have some secret plans for it. I have already been thinking up some extra shelving ideas :wink: I have been having fun planting stuff indoors this winter and with the tease of warm weather yesterday can't wait. I am going to keep my eye out for any "clearance" on the little suckers in the weeks to come. We could always use two, right!!!!!!!!!
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

At least two.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Charla
New Topic Post Reply