cut them to the ground???

Discuss and share pictures of plants in the genus Heuchera and the hybrid genus Heucherella, commonly known as coral bells and foamy bells.
eastwood2007

cut them to the ground???

Post by eastwood2007 »

Need help from you experienced heuchera growers....Please. I planted heuchera last year for the first time. Even after being covered with snow for 7 weeks the foliage from last year still has some color and shape although very washed out and kinda squashed. Do I cut them back to the ground? Or what do I do with them for spring, and when? Thanks in advance for help....

I know, as with all plants, there is a lot on info published, but I would like to hear it from people who have grown them awhile as to what works best.
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Libby

Post by Libby »

Charla, I've always touched them up with a little trimming to the dried and sad looking areas. They seem to do OK when the new growth takes over and bounce back, but I'd like to hear from experienced growers, too.
John

Post by John »

I'm a little obsessive, and pull off the older leaves that don't look so good once new growth starts. I do enjoy their almost evergreen foliage, and some of the purples turn really great shades of rose and so on when the weather turns cold.

Have you noticed that they tend to climb up out of the ground, and need to be re-planted a bit deeper? Good time to groom them.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Hmmm....I do have one that this is the 3rd year for, and I did notice the other day that the crown (if that is what it is called on Heuchera) seemed to be sticking up. Is this frost heaving or their natural growth habit? If I reset it, how deep? Thanks for the input, BTW...
Charla
John

Post by John »

It could be frost heaving, but seems to be the natural growth habit more often. I find there is usually a longish 'stem' with a group of leaves at its top; I replant so the rosette of leaves is back at ground level where it look as if it belongs.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Thanks! I'll do that. The one I am refering to is "Stoplight" and it has "stem" looking things sticking up. It struggled last year because of the dry/100 deg. summer, so I hope it comes out this year. Only stems visible right now....
Charla
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Charla,

'Stoplight' is actually a Heucherella, a cross between Heuchera and Tiarella. These like to be just a little bit deeper than Heuchera so if the crowns show above the soil I bury them completely. This will help to keep 'Stoplight' a little cooler this summer if you can bury it a little more. Heuchera on the other hand like to have their crown above the soil.

Back to the main question, though, no, you don't cut Heuchera down at all, just clean up the foliage. They naturally like to grow above the soil, as was mentioned. Some are faster growers than others, and some like to be completely above the soil while other hybrids like to be a little buried. It can be tough finding that happy medium sometimes, especially with soem of the really picky hybrids coming out, but in general I keep Heuchera crowns just above the soil, Heucherella at or a little below the soil, and Tiarella crowns about 1" below the soil. They all like well drained conditions.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Oohhhhhhh! Thanks, Chris! That helps, or I hope it will. I will get my "Stoplight" sunken in. Well-drained is definitely not a problem. I am just about too-well-drained on all my beds. We have very heavy clay soil here, so I mixed in a lot of compost and the edges of the beds are open - like a short rock wall on one side, so they can drain down hill (if you can picture it). Last year I had to water them all twice weekly! Thanks for the advice. I really like these Heuchera, Heucherellas and Tiarellas. I have already recognized that I don't know enough about them to tell them apart. I'll have to get busy and study. All of them I put in last year, about a dozen, have done really well, and I like the fact that they keep some color all year. Thanks alot, y'all!
Charla
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Thanks for the planting info on Heucherellas & Tiarellas, Chris. That would probly explain why after the 1st year or 2, mine don't do as well and eventually kinda disappear. I will be replanting some tiarellas deeper this year. Hopefully they're still out there.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Yes, thanks Chris. I replanted my "Stoplight" the other day. I hope it helps it...if it wasn't too late. It didn't do very well last year. All the others look great, though!
Charla
rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

I haven't had much time to go out on patrol in my trees yet, between putting my kitchen back together, working with Lew, trying to get some sewing done and the rain we have been getting, there hasn't been much outside time. But I have had a chance to do a little checking and eveything is coming up like crazy. My Heuchera are going really well. We have some of them in pots on the back deck, so I can see them from the kitchen table. I really like Gingerale!!! We are MAYBE going to have a nice day tomorrow so I will check again. I found a new Heuchera in one of my catalogues I want to try. All I have to do now is find the catalogue. I get so many at this time of year I Can't remember which one I saw it in and I can't remember the name. Jeez, talk about brain cells diminishing!!!! Oh well, I will be 81 Friday so I guess I have a good excuse! Can anyone tell me when the last Journal came? It seems like I haven't had one in ages. (Brain cells again!) Really glad to be back and hopefully I will be here more often. :(
Lovin' the great northwest!
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Last journal was a few weeks ago.. do not remember exactly.. CRS here (can't remember *bleep*)

Sometimes my heucheras grow up in a top like a puýramide or something like that, when it happens, I just cut it off, do the plants I want from the cuttings and compost the rest :wink:

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Rosemarie, happy birthday on Friday, in case I miss it! :D :bd: :D
Charla
New Topic Post Reply