Plum Pudding

Discuss and share pictures of plants in the genus Heuchera and the hybrid genus Heucherella, commonly known as coral bells and foamy bells.
Brenda

Post by Brenda »

MollyD,
my lime rickeys do the same thing. One of them is in a bed under the birch tee and until it gets more shade, a few of the leaves get a little brown. But the leaves quickly regrow and cover them up.

Our Walmarts (not sure if our Canadian ones order different plants or that we have a few staff who know what they are doing) usually have a few different ones besides palace purple. Last year I got amethyst mist, frosted violet and one other one at walmart. They usually do not last long and probably only get 4 or 5 of each plant so if you dont get them early they either are gone or the staff end up killing them.

Brenda
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Thanks Brenda, good to know my LR is doing something normal for it.
Our Walmart (mine specifically) doesn't have a good plant selection. I'll have to check out some in nearby towns and see if they're offering other heucheras.

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
Lat: 42.89N, Lon: 77.28W
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

I was just on Terra Nova's web page and noticed something interesting. They list Plum Pudding's height at 8" and describe it as a compact mounding plant. Mine is about twice that height and anything but compact and mounding!! Too much fertilizer during growth??? Could be why it's having so much trouble coping with any lack of moisture?

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Just thought I would pop in and tell you all not to give up on Lime Rickey. A picture of mine is posted in an earlier post I did. The first 4 months after I planted it last year, it sat there and did nothing. I was concerned and posted a question about it, and everyone said leave it alone, they grow slow. So I waited about two days, could not stand it and dug it up :lol: . The roots were still in a clump just like when I took it out of the pot. So I got mean :evil: I pulled that root clump all out and loosened them up, then replanted a bit shallower than I had it before, and low and behold it came alive. It seems to really like sun. Mine gets a good 3 hours of morning sun, then about an hour or so of afternoon and it is thriving. Our winters are not near as cold as you folks up north get, but we still had lows in the teens and a lot of ice this winter, but Lime Rickey came through with just a bit of winter burn on the leaves, and the new leaves quickly took over. Hang in there and give it sun! Good luck, I really like mine.

Ginger
Brenda

Post by Brenda »

MollyD,

Here is a picture of what my lime rickey looks like right now. You can see the burnt leaves underneath (actually most of the burnt leaves are last years growth) and how quickly the new leaves are covering them up. In a couple of weeks you probably wont even notice them.

Brenda
Attachments
lr.jpg
lr.jpg
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Brenda,

The brown on my LR is different from yours. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow and post it. It's not crispy but rather as though the coloring had gone intense to make this caramel shade of brown. Hard to explain. It's only happening on a few leaves.

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Okay got those pics today. Here is Lime Rickey and second shot is a close up of the burned leaves. I'm thinking maybe LR needs more shade than it's getting right now?

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Here are the rest of my new heucheras. The last will be Plum Pudding. Note the scraggly growth on that one. Is this typical or a problem with how it was grown? It's a Wally World purchase.

MollyD
Attachments
Chocolate Ruffles (a favorite of mine!)
Chocolate Ruffles (a favorite of mine!)
chocolate ruffles-sm.jpg (35.85 KiB) Viewed 2387 times
MollyD's Hosta list
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Next three!

MollyD
Attachments
Velvet Night
Velvet Night
velvet night-sm.jpg (33.76 KiB) Viewed 2385 times
MollyD's Hosta list
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Last one! Here is that Plum Pudding I mentioned a few post back. You can see how it droops all over the place.

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
New Topic Post Reply