"Key Lime Pie" & Agastache "Golden Jubile

Discuss and share pictures of plants in the genus Heuchera and the hybrid genus Heucherella, commonly known as coral bells and foamy bells.
MikeyBob

"Key Lime Pie" & Agastache "Golden Jubile

Post by MikeyBob »

These seem to work well together ... in the summer the agastache grows up and provides shade for the heuchera ... in the winter the agastache fades away and the heuchera remains ... and in the spring it looks this:

Hapygdnr

Post by Hapygdnr »

It looks nice! Wondering if you have trouble with the a. being invasive. Have been thinking of trying that plant myself, but I have a smaller garden area in the city so wonder how quickly it spreads. Know it is in the mint family and tend to be a bit careful them myself. They are such strong growers and I don't want to start something I'll regret.
Jeanne
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I never would have thought to put Heuchera and Agastache together and have had trouble with the yellow leaf heuchera growing at all myself, so if this works for you that's great :)

And Jeanne, the Agastache plant is clumping and does not run at all like mint, but Golden Jubilee can self seed a little bit. So far it hasn't been a problem for me as the little bitty seedlings are bright yellow and are easy to remove if I see one in a bad spot. I've grown it two seasons just to make sure that seedlings weren't going to be a problem as I've learned some other Agastache are very seedy/weedy. Agastache 'Blue Fortune' is a sterile plant, so you might consider that one.
MikeyBob

Post by MikeyBob »

I haven't had a problem with the agastache being invasive. Seedlings come up, but only around the existing plants. I like having the seedlings because they vary a bit and I like to save a couple of the best ones and then pull up the others.
Hapygdnr

Post by Hapygdnr »

Ok. Thanks for the information & quick responses, Chris & MikeyBob.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I appreciate the information too! Something for me to consider as long as it's not too invasive. :wink:
That sure does make a bright and cheery display! :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Re: "Key Lime Pie" & Agastache "Golden Jubile

Post by Patrushka »

I never saw this thread last year. It popped up in a google search for agastache. Those two look very nice together. :cool:

I winter sowed 5 kinds of agastache, including Golden Jubilee. I planted some Aurea (another golden one) at the edge of one of the hosta beds a short distance from Heuchera Lime Rickey. I'm glad to hear that they are clumping and not highly invasive. :D I was planning to plant several along the fence and I was a little worried about them creeping into the neighbor's yard.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
New Topic Post Reply