Bamboo question

Discuss ornamental grasses and bamboo.

Moderator: Chris_W

BillyB
USDA Zone: 6B

Bamboo question

Post by BillyB »

A buddy of mine has just bought a new home and was wanting to plant Bamboo. I told him to be careful, because some varieties turn into a forest in a short period of time. Problem is, I've never grown any, so I was unable to advise him what to look for. Any suggestions I can forward to him. Pics would nice if anyone has any to share.
Billy

P.S. I'm forwarding this page to him with the answers, so who knows, we may have a new member in the near future. :D I'll edit this one line out when I do.
BillyB
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world." - John Muir
My Hosta List
John

Post by John »

Hi Billy,

I started collecting bamboos this past summer. Basically, it is the hardy ones which are running, the clumping (non-invasive) are tender.

I'm in NJ, with a possible low of zero degrees or a few below. The varieties I'm growing are all running bamboos, selected for hardiness. They are in containers, and in my glassed-in but unheated porch. So far, with a low of 10 degrees, all but one of 14 kinds looks good. At (sustained?) certain temperatures, leaf damage, then cane (culm) damage occurs; but all should be root hardy; and the protection from the drying winds will help.

Any ideas how that will effect your friend's selections? If he needs hardy varieties, they will be the sort to quickly form a grove!
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

I have Fargesia dracocephala, it's a clumping bamboo and I have it in a container on my back patio. I'm going to be putting it in the ground next year, just haven't quite figured out where yet. I also got a nice clump of Shibatea kumasaca, that will stay in a large container since it does spread. Those are the only two I know.

The black bamboo is absolutely gorgeous, but DOES SPREAD, speaking from experience after having spent a lovely Saturday this fall helping dig it out and put a trench around it at the county Master Gardener demo garden.

PM me if you want me to send you a link to a couple of good bamboo growers... there's also a good article in (I think) one of the more recent Horticulture, or is it Fine Gardening? Magazines with a lot of good info. A trip to the local library should get you a copy of the mag and lots of other good info also.

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

The very best non spreading bamboo is Nitida which forms a beautiful fine 'hedge'. It is safe enough to plant directly into the soil
The others will spread UNLESS you surround them with a non permeable membrane. The best thing to do with bamboo is to prepare the whole area BEFORE you plant at all i.e. dig the hole, install the membrane (usually a surround of metal or plastic a good foot deep into the soil surrounding the area) and then plant in the centre
You can view a picture of Nitida on my website at the following address, and indeed pictures of many of the other bamboos which I have
http://www.fujiyamagarden.com/Nitida.html
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
impatience

Post by impatience »

From my sad experience, :evil: :evil: :evil: you need about 3 feet deep with any bamboo that will run. I would use concrete. If you use plastic it will just run thru it. And make sure that the top comes up at least 3 inches above ground because the roots will go over too!

My suggestion............pick something else. If the bamboo is happy-you're in trouble. I could go on and on and on.

I am going to have to cement over my front garden (I fear) because the bamboo has now come around to the front of the house and is taking over the plants. The roots are just amazing. :o :o :o :o
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
BillyB
USDA Zone: 6B

Post by BillyB »

Oh-No Imp! I'm sorry to here that. Maybe I should steer him toward something else all together. I know how it feels to have something take over an area and then try to get it under control or just get rid of it. It's a pain in @$$. :evil:

Billy
BillyB
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world." - John Muir
My Hosta List
Kas

Post by Kas »

Billy, there are some really great bamboo sites on the web. I would direct your friend to some of those. With the barriers, you need to angle them so the bottom is slightly smaller than the top. This will direct the rhizomes up and over rather than under. It will also prevent penetration of the barrier. If the rhizome goes over the top you just clip it off. And if it escapes altogether, just mow the new culms with the mower before they get too big or cut them off and cook them. There is a great book on bamboo called "Bamboo for Gardens" by Ted Meredith. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. It is the bamboo lover's bible. Great book!

I have several bamboos (Pyllostachys bissetii, Chusquea culeou, and Semiarundianaria fastuosa 'Viridis') and really want more. Black bamboo (Phyllostachys nigra) is one I have been drooling over as well as Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Spectabilis', Phyllostachys vivax 'Aureocaulis' and Phyllostachys nigra 'Bory'. It is quite an expensive hobby, though. And I so don't have the room for all I want. Ask Andi!

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
New Topic Post Reply