Fargesia Nitida

Discuss ornamental grasses and bamboo.

Moderator: Chris_W

JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Fargesia Nitida

Post by JaneG »

I just bought my first bamboo this past weekend. It is supposed to be clumping and NOT invasive. It has dark purple stems.

After doing some reading I think I may have planted it in too much sun. It will have full sun until about 3:00pm, then open shade the rest of the day. It is in the part of the yard where all the water drains to, so it tends to be a little more moist than the rest of the yard, but does dry out during dry spells.

If I keep it watered during dry spells will I be okay?

Anyone grow this bamboo?
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

I love this fargesia! Keeping it moist will definitely keep it happier in a sunny situation. It is, after all, a grass. A little more shade will keep it happier, but where you have it should be fine.
Annie

Post by Annie »

There is a hardy bamboo for zone 5??? I didn't know that.
I'll have to look into this :)
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

I've gotten six clumping bamboos in the last year, five of them from this place: http://www.booshootgardens.com/ These were sold at our local grocery store, of all places. The site gives a lot of good info on care, sun exposure, etc...

Chris - I hope it's okay to post this link since you're not in the bamboo business, but if not please feel free to delete this post.

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Thanks! I'm excited to see if I can get this baby to do well here in the midwest.

Annie, it is rated for zone 5-9, so this is the northern edge of it's hardiness. It's planted right here in Peoria, so I'll let you know it does. I got it at Hornbaker's last weekend. It's the only bamboo they carry because of it's hardiness and not being invasive.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

Nitida is easily my favourite non invasive bamboo
I have five plants which have formed the most beautiful backdrop to my 'grasses' bed
It is remarkably well behaved :)
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
New Topic Post Reply