Question for Bamboo experts.

Discuss ornamental grasses and bamboo.

Moderator: Chris_W

Colin

Question for Bamboo experts.

Post by Colin »

Hi all, earlier this year I bought a Nigra bamboo. It was quite a good size plant. About a week and half ago I was checking for new shoots and saw nothing, about 3 days later there were 3 shoots one measuring about 2' long 2 days later it had grown by about another 12"!! Is this normal to grow this fast?? I swear that if I was to sit next to it I'd probably see the growth!! :o :eek: I'm pleased its taken though. Is Nigra a spreading bamboo or does it stay in clumps?

Regards Colin
When confronted by a difficult problem, you can solve it more easily by reducing it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
John

Post by John »

Hi Colin, I'm guessing your bamboo is Phyllostachys nigra, the black bamboo. It is very hardy, and like most hardy bamboos is a runner, and quite invasive. I enjoy mine in containers, although it would make a fantastic grove if you have the space. John
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

If it is Phyllostachys Nigra (Punctata) (The Black bamboo) it is NOT a runner and invasive. In fact it is a clump forming bamboo and very well mannered
My own specimins have held well in large clumps are are giving no trouble
Bamboos are said to sleep for a year, creep for a year and then leap :)
I have a Spectabilis that has shot up two new shoots to over 6 feet in 3 days
Yours is probably doing just that
Be careful about fertilising bamboos, as they can become too large and may well spread more than you would want if you do
Attachments
nigra01.JPG
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
George Nesfield

Post by George Nesfield »

Hi Colin,
I do believe that some bamboo's can grow about twenty foot in a day, BUT NOT EVERY DAY,correct me if I am wrong Sam
George.
Anyone who never made a mistake never made anything
John

Post by John »

Sam, I double-checked the performance of my own P. nigra, as well as the literature cited on the web, and it is in every instance referred to as a runner. I am even aware of a grove of this one in a nearby town where it has taken over an entire side yard.

I've "moved" this thread to the & Bamboo Forum, where perhaps we may get more feedback on that!
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

John
I take my information from literature on bamboos bought from Jungle Giants in Worcestershire and from my own experience over 10 years which agrees with their information
I quote:
Nigra 'Boryana' ... 'Spreads only slowly with well spaced culms. Good manners'
Nigra 'Henonis' ... 'Tall and bending and only slow growing at the base. Normally regarded as a clumper'
Nigra 'Punctata' ... 'Clump forming with arching culms. Does not wander'
It is this latter variety which is normally referred to as the 'Black Bamboo' and is the one I referred to above. That description agrees with my own experience with three different clumps of this bamboo in different growing conditions
Unless these growing traits are unique to the UK?
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
John

Post by John »

Good information, Sam. As Colin in also in the UK, he might expect his P. n. to behave itself...
Colin

Post by Colin »

Thanks guys I just know on the label it read Phyllostacus Nigra. I will try and get some close up pics. By the way its now over 7foot tall! :eek: I actually quite like it. It only appears to be growing shoots from its base at the moment and I cant see any evidence that its spreading. If I do find shoots elsewhere can I chop them out and transplant them to a different area of the garden??
When confronted by a difficult problem, you can solve it more easily by reducing it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
George Nesfield

Post by George Nesfield »

Hi Colin,
If you get some root on it it should be okay.
George.
Anyone who never made a mistake never made anything
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

Except that if it is spreading you might not want to help it :)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

Hun Ki Dory
Henrik

Post by Henrik »

Yeah I get the same performance of my bissetti. A week ago, I saw about 3 shoots, the day after 6 shoots and now one week later I counted 15 shoots, the tallerst about 40 cm taller than the original bamboo from last year...

Very impressive plants, and thank god this bamboo is clumping rather than spreading. Anyone know a good spreading bamboo? Which is the fastest runner on the block?

/Henrik
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

It may depend a lot on climate and where you're at. Here in Washington State the Phyllostachys nigra is considered a runner. I've personally helped to dig out a very aggressive clump of it at our local Master Gardener demo garden, and was a day-long pain in the rear to get it back down to a manageable size and get barrier installed so that it won't spread so far again. It's absolutely gorgeous though, sure wish I had room to let it run rampant!

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
Colin

Post by Colin »

since posting originally it has grown to approx 10foot! doesnt show any signs of stopping either :-? How tall can they get?

Regards Colin
John

Post by John »

Height would depend on your zone :-)

35 feet tall in areas with a low temperature of zero Farenheit is not unusual.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Thanks John :eek: :eek: Well its about 12foot so far :-? and weather here at the moment is wet, wet, wet!! Can I just cut it off at the desired height?

Regards Colin
Tokyo Mike

Post by Tokyo Mike »

My Golden Temple bamboo is amazing. It's grown at more than 6' in a week.

Sam, you wouldn't share a tip or two of that Black with a brother would ya ?
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

I certainly would Mike but you should understand that the States may have import restrictions on live plant life
But so long as I can remain anonymous ......... :)
Send me an addy ...
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

Hun Ki Dory
New Topic Post Reply