Zebra Grass?

Discuss ornamental grasses and bamboo.

Moderator: Chris_W

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Zebra Grass?

Post by wishiwere »

I know nothing about this and neither does the guy that has it. Is it possible to take and shovel prune this stuff to get a starter? Or not?

Also.........how invasive is this stuff? Or is by runners, seeds, or any advice?

Thanks! :D
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

You can dig a chunk of zebra grass pretty much anytime, but the spring is the best. In the spring, the feeder roots are still weak from the winter, so it's much easier to get out of the ground.

Once established, zebra is an aggressive clump. By that, I mean it will grow rapidly and increase in size quickly, but it doesn't spread by underground runners. It'll make a nicely contained 3' clump at the base in about 6-7 years.

Once in a blue moon, you may get a seedling to pop up here and there, but they're no big deal. They're actually kinda neat to grow on and see what they turn into. I have a 'Strictus' seedling that's a dwarf. It's about 1/2 the height of the original. Have fun with them.
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Thanks, I think I will. I've been afraid to try it, b/c of all the things people have said about grass being invasive, like crab-grass or something!

Nice to know this isn't! Thanks again! :D
Annie

Post by Annie »

OH you'll love the zebra grass! It's pretty.
It isn't invasive like that dang ribbon grass :eek:

Yep you can dig a chunk up but be prepared to break a shovel or two :lol: I did :)
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

I'll let he and dh do the honors then! :lol: Then if they break my shovel, they can buy the new one! :lol: :lol:
New Topic Post Reply