suggestions

Discuss ornamental grasses and bamboo.

Moderator: Chris_W

gamekeeper

suggestions

Post by gamekeeper »

Would like to add a Bamboo plant to a new bed I am planting in a sunny dry spot would like something eyecatching any suggestions.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Love black bamboo, but what do you like :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Kas

Post by Kas »

How big is the bed and how much of it are you willing to let be occupied by bamboo? I love the black bamboo, also. I have a secret desire (ok, not so secret) for some Phyllostachys vivax 'Aureocalis' or 'Huangwenzhu Inversa'. I also like (and am having one babysat for me by doublemom2) the Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Specatbilis'.

Vivax gets about 30 to 50 feet tall and is hardy in zones 6-10. Aureosulcata is good in zones 5-10 and gets about 30ft tall. Both are running boos, so you would need a barrier and maintain it well. Same with the Pyllostachys nigra or black bamboo. I have kept runners in 2x4 foot barriers and even big pots without any trouble, but the more space you can give them, the cooler they look and the happier they will be.

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
mastila
USDA Zone: tropical

Re: suggestions

Post by mastila »

does always Vivax gets about 30 to 50 feet tall and is hardy in zones 6-10? i mean is it independent of other related things?
Kas

Post by Kas »

I am pretty sure that genetics drives the height on bamboo. As to the hardiness, go to bamboogarden.com or bamboogardenswa.com and they should have the hardiness info. Have fun!

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
gamekeeper

Post by gamekeeper »

How would one use 2x4 's to keep the plant in check?
Kas

Post by Kas »

Gamekeeper, one wouldn't! The rhizomes would just push between the cracks. Your best bet is to buy the barrier from a bamboo nursery. Make sure you angle it slightly so the top is wider than the bottom. That encourages the boo to do all its running over the top instead of under the barrier. That way you can just clip off any rhizomes that escape.

Kas
New Topic Post Reply