Pleioblastus fortunei - dwarf whitestripe bamboo

Discuss ornamental grasses and bamboo.

Moderator: Chris_W

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Pleioblastus fortunei - dwarf whitestripe bamboo

Post by Chris_W »

I only have a couple bamboo growing here, and this is one of them - Pleioblastus fortunei, also known as dwarf whitestripe bamboo, plus it is sold with the trademarked name Little Zebra, but I don't see any difference between Little Zebra and the species.

This is considered a running bamboo, but it grows only about 6" under the surface here so is very easy to control, and after 4 years (3 winters) in the shady growing area it has barely moved outside the original planting. It grows about a foot tall and I grow it in the shade in good soil, but don't ever worry about watering it. I also tried some on a really dry slope and although they keep coming back they aren't growing much. In a lot of sun this one can get some leaf scorch.

It dies back completely here in our zone 5 gardens. If you are worried about it moving too much you could dig a shallow trench around it and then use scissors to cut any runners you see getting into the trench, but I haven't had any issues with that and don't really think it would be that necessary. Makes a really attractive groundcover :)
Attachments
This is a row of 50 starter plants - has grown into a thick mass, but hasn't been invasive.
This is a row of 50 starter plants - has grown into a thick mass, but hasn't been invasive.
Closeup of dwarf whitestripe bamboo
Closeup of dwarf whitestripe bamboo
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Re: Pleioblastus fortunei - dwarf whitestripe bamboo

Post by Annie »

Oh now that is pretty!
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Thanks Annie.

So many people get scared by running bamboo, but this hasn't been the least bit of a problem for us. Heck, I won't even touch Ribbon Grass because it is so darn invasive, but this has been just fine :)

Now, I do have a second variety here that is a little faster spreading, but again, it has been easily contained and really looks cool in the garden. I'll post pictures of that one soon.
Hapygdnr

Post by Hapygdnr »

Looks good! It is more attractive than ribbon grass and sounds like it would be a great alternative (I have some and want to get rid of it!!!) Could you tell me how hardy this is and what it needs for exposure? Thanks for showing this one... you've got me thinking about spring and it's not even winter... heck I'm not even done with fall clean up. Best get outside and off this computer...

Jeanne
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Jeanne,

It is usually only rated as hardy to zone 6, but clearly it is fine in zone 5. This has been exposed to winter temps here down to -20, repeatedly, without skipping a beat. That is the coldest you can get and still be considered zone 5.

This bamboo is really best growing in the shade since the white portions can burn in too much sunlight. The crowns should never be exposed or they could dry out over the winter, though when I've seen these in nurseries the roots and crowns are usually showing above the pot. That's probably to prevent them from drowning in a wet greenhouse environment (most nurseries water way too much...) but they must be covered when planted in the ground.

If you are in zone 4 this might be a little too tender, I'm afraid.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Have to look for that one - too cute
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply