Pic of the Day--Moonlight Sonata

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Moonlight Sonata

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Moonlight Sonata is another relatively new variety that went into the Friendship Garden last summer, when it measured 23x13. It was registered in 2004, although some had been in the trade a few years before being registered. I am expecting the plant to quickly develop into an upright form about 55x24. It should have shiny leaves and fragrant flowers by mid summer.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... t%20Sonata

MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Moonlight+Sonata

Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/m/moonl.html
Moonlight Sonata 8-15-06c.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Sorry I can't comment much on this one yet. I planted it a few years ago and forgot about it until I noticed it last year. It's got a faded blue color to it with shiny leafs..

LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

MS is the hosta HD won up at Chris's year before last.......So this is HIS hosta! :lol: It's got real thick leaves...

I have to say that it has done very good in full sun.....Remember we lost 2 trees and never did get shade made....(we best this year).....Here are 2 picture's of it......remember, it's in full hot sun....
Attachments
s 043.jpg
s 334.jpg
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

You'll like Moonlight Sonata, Hank. :P It is a fast grower & the flowers smell wonderful. It starts out a nice dark bluish green & later is dark shiny green. I got mine from Brenda/green nature lady in the last Hallson trade she participated in so it & the other hostas she sent are pretty special to me.

Greg Johnson, the hybridizer, said at one ROHS auction that Moonlight Sonata was one of his 1st hybridizing efforts & he thought he was very fortunate that it exceeded what he'd been hoping for from the cross. According to Mr. Lemke's files, it's an 'Invincible' x 'Northern Halo' hybrid. 'Invincible' is a Paul Aden plantagenia seedling [Aden 314 x Aden 802]. Northern Halo is a sieboldiana 'Elegans' sport from Walters Gardens. So basically Moonlight Sonata is a plantagenia x sieboldiana 'Elegans' hybrid a couple of generations removed. It would be interesting to know what Aden's 314 & 802 had in their backgrounds to get 'Invincible'.
leaf detail
leaf detail
moonlightsonataleaf-b 5-1-06.jpg (36.3 KiB) Viewed 4023 times
Moonlight Sonata last May 1st
Moonlight Sonata last May 1st
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
hummingbird
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by hummingbird »

Yes I agree with Reldon, great trouble free grower and the fragrance of the large blooms are yummy! I have a large clump I left behind in Canada, it about 6-7 yrs old. I'm sure you'll enjoy this one Hank. You can view the pic of it on my website, the link is below.
"Friends are as elusive as rainbows"
sugar

Post by sugar »

Superb Hosta... all year round in full sun in the container, and doing very well....
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Moonlight Sonata is one of my favorites. Love the name (and the musical piece that shares the name!), love the texture, the fragrant flowers, the excellent growth rate, the sheen on the leaves, the clump form...
Here's a not-so-good spring pic of it, shoving aside all neighbors. (Yes, LG, I'm going to move some of those this year... :roll: :lol: )
Linda P
Attachments
Apple Tree Bed from east May 25 06.JPG
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I'm a fan of this one also. From what everyone has said it seems like it grows well just about anywhere you choose to plant it. :D
Attachments
MoonlightSonataSOHBF6-18-05.jpg
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I didn't say a thing Linda.....:lol: :wink:
jgh

Post by jgh »

I like this one... my most recent indexed pic is from 2005...

and his companion reflects my current posture, returning from a tropical paradise to 20+ inches of snow on the ground...
Attachments
Moonlight Sonata and friend rdcd.JPG
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Welcome back Jim!! I see that you had the good judgment to be in the tropics for the entire time that we were having blizzards up here in the Frozen Tundra. :D
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
Eleven
USDA Zone: 6a

Re: Pic of the Day--Moonlight Sonata

Post by Eleven »

Moonlight Sonata, new from last summer. I can't wait to smell the flowers when it blooms.
Hosta Moonlight Sonata.JPG
~Shawna
New Topic Post Reply