Pic of the Day--Sultana

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Sultana

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Let's face it, size matters, at least when deciding where to place a plant or when evaluating how well it is growing. When I bought Sultana back in 1999 I thought it's expected mature size would be close to 30x16, based on Zilis's overall excellent book. So, each year when the plant usually ended up much smaller than that, I thought there was a problem with it's location or the plant itself. It turns out that Lemke' Data Base lists the plant at 11x7. That is very close to my plant's usual size of about 10x6. So, now I feel better about Sultana and it's attractive foliage. I have it growing in a spot that gets about 4 hours of direct sun a day. It is interesting to note that Sultana was already blooming when this late May photo was taken. Slugs have only been a minor problem.
Attachments
Sultana 5-27-05c.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:cool:

Don't have this one. Thanks Hank!! :D
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Zilis really goofed on that one. As a sport of 'Little Aurora,' I would expect it would still be … little. One of my favorite little hostas, even though I've replaced it more than once.
jgh

Post by jgh »

I like all of the Little Aurora family - except Little Aurora itself, which hasn't grown worth a darn for me. But I like Sultana and Little Sunspot and, of course, Tattoo

As far as size... it took its time - I don't even have a record of when I bought it, but sometime before 1999 - but my Sultana is about 24" in diameter. Small, but not tiny.
Attachments
Sultana, Little Sunspot, Tattoo rdcd.JPG
Sultana closeup rdcd.JPG
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

OMG Jim!! I love that mature picture! And just look at your Tatoo....man.....Makes me want Sultana!

Thanks for sharing!! :D
jgh

Post by jgh »

Can't believe what a bad rap Tattoo gets... it is truly one of a kind!
Attachments
Tattoo 2005 closeup rdcd.JPG
tattoo in raised bed rdcd.JPG
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Well, mine died... :(
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I think Tattoo gets a bad rap because there are a lot of weak/poor performing TC's of it on the market. Some of us get lucky. Mine has a nice pattern & has grown fairly well although my 'fairly well' is 3-4 eyes in 2005 after being planted in 2003. So it's not a speedy one. The Sultana I have has done pretty well after turning into a tiny TC in 2003 or 2004 :-? - it didn't even appear until late June. But I've never had any luck with Little Aurora. I had 2 - both from 2004. Last year there was a tiny tiny tiny single division from each remaining. I replanted them together. If they don't come back this spring - it won't be coming back - not to my garden anyway. :wink: LOL
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Here is our Tattoo.
Attachments
Tattoo 6-27-06c 044.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
Hapygdnr

Post by Hapygdnr »

I really like both Tatoo and Sultana. Have had Tatoo probably 4 times now and Sultana just once. Tatoo won't get any more chances but I think I may try Sultana again and let it have the first couple years in a pot - so it gets off to a good start. That's what I tried with tatoo but it just didn't work... guess I had those tc's Reldon was talking about....
Anyone have pointers for my next try with Sultana?
Jeanne
Tkzone7

Post by Tkzone7 »

I don't know how I missed this POTD. That is a beauty!

Now I need to get it to go next to my Little Sunspot, great combo, jgh.
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Re: Pic of the Day--Sultana

Post by redcrx »

Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
New Topic Post Reply