Pic of the Day--Squash Casserole

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Squash Casserole

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--When I first became fascinated by hostas and started to collect a number of varieties, I soon became aware of the difficulty of obtaining accurate information about what I could expect regarding the performance and size of many varieties. I soon came to realize that climate and general growing conditions can greatly influence how a particular variety performs in a specific garden. However, often even those factors do not seem to explain large differences between published information and how some varieties actually perform. The pressure on commercial growers to hurry their new varieties to market before the plants have fully matured contributes to the confusion over expected sizes and, sometimes, even appearance.

Because there can be so much variation, I would like to encourage everyone to post photos and comments of the Pic of the Day varieties that you have growing. Maybe the end result will be a better understanding for all of us as to what size and overall performance we can expect from our plants.

Today's variety, Squash Casserole, is an example of how much difference there can be between the size information published and actual experience. Since receiving it as a gift in 2000 it has been growing in a spot that gets several hours of sun, at different times of the day. It has had a growth rate. Beginning in 2001 it has measured 30x12, 43x11 55x19, 55x19, 66x18, 67x28, and 75x31. That size compares to the 46x20 listing when it was registered. Regardless of its size, Squash Casserole has been an excellent, attractive plant, free of problems including slug damage.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... 0Casserole
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Squash+Casserole
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/s/squashcasserole.html

The pix are from 2002 and 2006.
Squash Casserole 6-26-06c 003.jpg
Squash Casserole 6-24-02c.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi Hank!!

Yep, another one I do not have and I know that Chris really likes this one...It's a good one, but I only have so much room....:lol:

Thanks Hank......Waiting for other peoples pictures! :D
tsneal

Post by tsneal »

Great looking plant Hank!!! Sounds like I should try to get this one.

Stephanie
jgh

Post by jgh »

Well, Hank... I'll add to your description of the missregistration of SQ. You take great care of your hostas, while I tend to neglect them, so I can't account for your SQ staying so small...

I started a dozen of these from Shady Oaks tc in 1999. I don't think I've ever had a hardier, faster growing hosta tc. The first photo is from 2003... tc year plus 3... and the ruler is actually 48" long, not a yardstick. The second photo is from 2005.

My SQ seems to always hover in the 48" diameter range. This was true of three tc that I grew to maturity for division and resale as well. Even growing in brutal conditions... total shade under spruce trees... the third pic is a group of 3 in 2003. For comparison, the Fragrant Blue are the same age and not nearly as mature.

I think Squash Casserole is one of the best large yellow hostas... as easy and fast as August Moon, but with more character to the leaves... should become a standard. (Too bad it has a stupid name...) :)
Attachments
Fragrant Blue and Squash Casserole rdcd.JPG
Squash Casserole rdcd.JPG
Squash Casserole with ruler reduced.JPG
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

My Squash Casserole was purchased in 2003 from the now defunct Hosta La Vista, Baby! online source. I know it was most likely a TC the fall before. I got it for $6 in her last going-out-of-business sale. :wink: But I never had any problems with her plants - mine were pretty good & always what they were sposed to be.

I don't show this one as having to be cut back in 2005 after the frost damage. The area it's in is sheltered more than others. In 2006, mound: 18" H x 39" W, leaves: 7" W x 10.25" L, 12 vein pairs, 6 scapes - tallest 24", no seed pods. It did have some cutleaf damage on several leaves. But other than that it looked perfect this past year. I'm sure it's too close to the spirea roots so I will probly need to dig it & disentangle this year. And the insidious crab apple tree roots have probly made it over to that spot by now.

I like it back at the back of this bed behind Striptease. It just glows back there - especially looks 8-) in the early evening. I planted a couple of white flowered astilbe near it last summer. I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks this summer!! :P These pics were taken on 8/15/06 & I'm still amazed that so many including Squash Casserole looked so good after the weeks of extreme heat we had before then.

jgh - what have ya got against Tony's food names anyway?? :hmm: I kinda like the ones he & Bob Solberg have come up with & I think his other southern lingo names are fun too.
014 Striptease-SquashCasserole2.jpg
068 Squash Casserole leaves.jpg
068 Squash Casserole leaves.jpg (53.57 KiB) Viewed 3952 times
069 Squash Casserole.jpg
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
jgh

Post by jgh »

Now Reldon...

I like the name Guacamole... and can get along with Fried Green Tomatoes and Fried Bananas... Avocado is good...

But seriously... "Squash Casserole"???

I come from the land of casseroles - or do they called them "covered dishes" in Iowa? - but I've never seen a squash casserole, never heard of a squash casserole, and see no connection of any sort between this plant and squash or casserole.

A very good plant that is hard to sell due to its name. Sometimes Tony's names are cute... this one is just... well, stupid!
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

Jim -- I have this plant -- two of them, in fact - and they are everything people have been saying they are - fast growing, hardy, not bothered by anything other than rabbits in early spring. great Hosta!
Also, there ARE actual squash casseroles, and I have a recipe for a really good one, that has croutons on top and bakes in the oven. Very tasty -- you should try it! (Recipe available on request!) Phyllis
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Great pics everyone! I picked up SC last year ,so it looks like I'll have to find a spot that gives it lots of room to grow! :o
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Squash Casserole...I think the name rather fits the plant, not because it looks anything like the color of squash, but because it has that wide-spreading, low-growing look. (as in "squashed"...think roadkill :lol: ).
My thoughts on the registered measurements are: A...that it wasn't grown very long before it was registered, as this one grows at something approaching the speed of light; or B....that it gets larger in the northern half of the country than it does in the southern half. I think mine was 68" across last year, but I didn't write down the measurements. I don't know if the placement next to Halcyon is good or bad. There are times that the color combination nearly vibrates, and it can be a little bit jarring to the senses in just the right light.
Linda P
Attachments
Halcyon SqCasserole June 18.JPG
Please excuse the hail and wind damage.
Please excuse the hail and wind damage.
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Is Sweet Tater Pie any easier for you to sell?? :hmm: :wink: LOL

I honestly have never had a problem with either name. And butternut squash [the only kind my mother ever grew] has a yellowish look to it when baked in a casserole. Squash Casserole is a better name than Squash Covered Dish. :wink: And yes we do have plenty of those covered dishes at church dinners & family reunions here in Iowa, but for some reason if they don't leave the house they're just casseroles. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Trying to mentally avoid Linda's 'squashed' theory so I don't see a dead raccoon every time I look at my Squash Casserole this summer... :eek: Gee thanks, Linda. :roll: :x
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Nice looking hostas everyone....

Jim,
My grandma use to make a Squash Casserole and it was awesome. I can't seem to find the reciepe she used so did a google and found lots of reciepes.

SQUASH CASSEROLE

2 cups yellow squash, sliced
1 cup carrot, grated
1 cup onion, diced
1 cup sour cream
2 cups seasoned croutons
2 tablespoons butter

In a 2-quart casserole dish, layer 1/2 of the croutons on bottom. Mix vegetables together with the sour cream and spread on top of the croutons.

Add the rest of the croutons then top with the butter. Bake at 350 F for 1 hour.

Serving Size: 4
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Well JGH, you really did it this time!! :eek: It looks like you managed to turn the entire crowd of squash casserole gourmets against you. Ya gotta be more careful out there, Jim. Those kinda folks can turn on a fella in an instant when you don't show real respect for their kind of covered dish. :lol: :wink:
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
jgh

Post by jgh »

(unrepentent)
(grumbling)

Didn't say anything bad about squash... don't have anything against casserole... go ahead and make a casserole out of it if you want - it's still squash...

still think its a dumb name for a hosta... if it was Dancing Ruffles or Ruffled Beauty or Golden Petticoats I could sell it a heck of a lot easier...

but Reldon inspired me... next low growing one I want to register will definitely be Road Kill Delight or some such...

(big smile) Thank you all for your input!

eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Wow, if anyone had never seen a "can of worms opened up"...this was it! ha,ha :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

You'd better watch out, Jim - I bet Tony's already got that name ready to roll for one of his new intros. :wink:

Now I'm hungry, Jamie... :???:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

Oooooooooo...I can hardly wait to see mine this spring! I received a very generous hunk last fall, but all the leaves were cut off, so never got to see those glorious leaves. From the size of this one, will have to move it soon!!! Yippee! I am so glad I have room for the big hosta!

wanda
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Yes, I can kinda see that the photos and descriptions we have seen don't do 'Squash Casserole' justice. I am officially adding it to my wish list. :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
jgh

Post by jgh »

On more thought...

I've ordered the only sport from SC with which I am familiar... a green-with-yellow-margin sport from Hans Hansen... and even Hans, good stolid Minnesotan that he is, couldn't resist getting in on the "food theme."

It's called Key Lime Pie
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Now that was a name progression that made no sense to me!! :o I LOVE Key Lime Pie - but how the heck do you give that name to a sport of Squash Casserole. That's just messed up!! :hmm:

Jimmy Crack Corn to Corn Belt makes sense.

Stained Glass to Cathedral Windows makes sense.

Guacamole to both Avacado and Holy Mole makes sense.

But Squash Casserole to Key Lime Pie??? :-? I don't think so!!
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Squash Casserole for the main course:
Key Lime Pie for dessert?
Hmmmm...I guess there are some pretty unusual food combinations at covered dish suppers. (We call them potluck here in our little section of the Midwest.)
I have Hosta Key Lime Pie...waiting to see if it has anything close to the growth rate of SC.
Sorry for the roadkill word picture... :o
jgh, if you want to blame Renaldo for that one, go ahead. I usually blame him for all my mistakes anyway. :wink:
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply