Pic of the Day--Shade Fanfare

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Shade Fanfare

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Shade Fanfare is another variety that I purchased early in my hostaholism, back in 1994. This particular plant has been growing in the same spot since then, under some Black Walnut trees where direct sun never reaches. Shade Fanfare is a nice, versatile variety. This particular plant's size has bounced around just a bit, maybe as it has won or lost battles with the other hostas in this overcrowded bed and it has averaged an inch or two smaller than Zilis' listing of 21x53. It does need slug protection.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... %20Fanfare

MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Shade+Fanfare

Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/s/shadefanfare.html
Shade Fanfare front 6-26-06c.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
jgh

Post by jgh »

Hank continues his series of Paul Aden registrations... but at least he's gone from the seventies to the eighties with this one. Aden registered it in 1986, but Zilis says it had been around since at least 1981.

Hank wasn't into hostas that early as he was busy with his acting career... he picked a very common midwestern stage name... I mean, Johnson... how much more common could you get!

Thankfully, after the series died in 1989, he was able to get into serious gardening.

Zilis tells an interesting story about Shade Fanfare. apparently, Aden registered Flamboyant in 1978 "as the result of X-ray bombardment of a gold sdlg" Flamboyant is a streaker and was apparently quite the rage. It is also, apparently, very unstable and hard to manage.

Shade Fanfare is a stabilized Flamboyant. Apparently it was considered the "poor cousin" to F... I can imagine how disappointed someone would be to baby along their streaker only to have it turn into SF. On the other hand, SF has gone on to become a standard in the landscaping business while F is, I would say, and expensive novelty plant.

There are some relatives of SF around... Zilis introduced an all yellow one he named Golden Fanfare. The only one I grow is Verna Jean, which is a selfed seedling from F that is described as being like a mini-Shade Fanfare. SF has been a good, if unspectacular, plant for me... Verna Jean hasn't done much...
S14 02 Shade Fanfare closeup rdcd.JPG
S14 02 Shade Fanfare rdcd.JPG
s headshot for Miami Vice.JPG
s headshot for Miami Vice.JPG (42.37 KiB) Viewed 4975 times
jgh

Post by jgh »

Verna Jean
Attachments
S16 37 Verna Jean rdcd.JPG
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

:lol: @ jgh!!

Shade Fanfare is a nice one I think!! Mine got a new home last year - not far from where it was, but it's free of roots now so I hope it gets bigger again instead of decreasing in size. Shade Fanfare in my shade has always been a lighter green than either Hank's or Jim's.

I acquired Verna Jean from HostaRod a couple of years ago. I didn't realize it was related to Shade Fanfare. [I haven't made it to the V's on my spreadsheet just yet. :wink: ] It looked nice but small last year til crown rot hit.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
maidofshade

Post by maidofshade »

JGH Just where do you find those "dated" pictures. First the disco and now DJ. :???: Your private collection?????????HMMMMMMMMM????????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[and I don't mean the hosta ones) I have to wonder who would keep those around. :-?
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:lol: :lol: :lol: @ Jim!! You crack me up!!! :lol: :lol:
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

JGH--Darn it Jim!! :eek: I thought we had an understanding that you wouldn't let folks know that I'm rich, good lookin', and well..... just an all around nice guy. :lol:
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
jgh

Post by jgh »

I know Betty agrees with that assessment... but how can I forget how you treated Melanie Griffith??? Ah, well... water down the hillside I guess!

I tried to job around the pilot for a series based on the joys and travails of a school counselor in Florida. I thought we'd call it "Miami Advice." Never quite got it off the ground...l
maidofshade

Post by maidofshade »

You know I'm just teasing about the pics. Actually they gave me a good laugh! Who could forget the 80's? :-?
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Re: Pic of the Day--Shade Fanfare

Post by redcrx »

My Shade Fanfare is in flower. That's laevigata bottom/center and Phantom bottom/right.
The solid green top/right of center is a weedling out of Elegans probably.
Shade Fanfare - July 28, 2015
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
New Topic Post Reply