Pic of the Day--June

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--June

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--June seems to be on every hostaphiles short list of favorites. It has gorgeous foliage, a good growth rate, it is slug free in our garden and at a size of about 37x16 can fit into most garden spots. It has been in our garden since 1998, and I had it growing in a spot that got a couple hours of afternoon sun. Because it should produce more gold coloring in more light, I moved it in the fall of 2003 to a spot that gets about 4 to 6 hours of direct sun and open shade the rest of the time. It think it is interesting to see the color changes that took place because of the change in location.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... riety=June
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/June
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/j/june.html

The first pic is from 2003, before the move, and then 2004 after the move.
June 7-2-04c.JPG
June 6-26-03c 274.jpg
June 6-26-03c 274.jpg (53.54 KiB) Viewed 5580 times
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

June looks great either way. One leaf is showing corrugation? Does anyone have one older than Hank's?
This June came from a mature division in '03
This June came from a mature division in '03
JuneC5.JPG (44.13 KiB) Viewed 5570 times
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
Nathalie23

Post by Nathalie23 »

Wonderful June both of you! :D
Nathalie

I usually speak french so sorry for my mistakes in english
Nathalie23 Hosta List
wzbt03

June

Post by wzbt03 »

By far one of my favorite hosta. I think I own 9 or 10 of them but the picture I have attached is from the Roe Gardens near here.
June Roe garden 1.JPG
June Roe garden 1.JPG (48.95 KiB) Viewed 5523 times
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Who do not love h. June :-?

Even in my tiny garden I still have 4 h. Junes... it was hard to give one away, but I am not in for the all green and strong yellow it get in full sun here :lol:

By the way it is a late one- rather frost safe :wink:

Are jgh sick or..... :-?

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
jgh

Post by jgh »

When we vote for our five favorite hostas, I always list June as numbers 1, 2, and 3.

I know that sounds cute... but it's not only because I like it so much, it's also due to the fact that June is so variable that you can look at it as several different hostas.

When June went into tc, it became clear that there was a great deal of variation in the plants that were sold. The primary difference was in center color. Some are more yellow while others are more chartreuse. Just to add to the confusion, no matter which strain you start with, they all seem to get lighter as the season progresses... and they get lighter depending on how much sunlight they receive. Oh... and when grown in a lot of sun, unlike many hostas, June doesn't get larger - it tends to stay smaller.

The good news - it doesn't matter. June looks great in all its forms! Get several... plant them in different places... people will swear they are different hostas!
June closeup rdcd.JPG
June in lots of shade - no direct sun
June in lots of shade - no direct sun
June in lots of sun
June in lots of sun
jgh

Post by jgh »

You know I always try to fill in the family history, but I've gone over the Halcyon family so often, I'm afraid I might get banned for repetition. I'll do it a little differently this time!

(June was registered in 1991 by NEO Plants, Ltd. England)

I try to pick a theme for my yard sale each year. Last year it was "All In The Family" - I'll include my "family tree" - and I also had a display with all of the family members I had for sale... I think I had 10 of the cultivars for sale.

I'm sure there are some I missed, but I think the excellence of the Halcyon clan is clearly demonstrated!

(((P.S. As to being sick, Pia... lots of people have speculated about that over the years and certainly a significant segment of the population thinks I am... but I've had a lot of help over the years and I like to think I'm functioning reasonably well... except when it comes to hostas.)))
June family display rdcd.JPG
part of sales area
part of sales area
sales list cover jpg rdcd.JPG
thy

Post by thy »

:roll: :lol: Jim.. I didn't mean menthaly addicted sick. :eek:

But didn't understand I didn't see your comments on your - and many others - favorite hosta

Started out with 2 very diffent looking h. Junes... so different the seller didn't want $ for one of them.. but after a year under the same conditions,.. they looked the same

Have had 2 from Britania- 2 from Holland ( original from US ) and one from Poland.. they all looked different when I got them, byút after a year or 2 in the same bed... they look the same... if planted out, they look diffent once again.. think it is a June and enviomement thing all in one :wink: :oops: :lol:

You all know my hostas are born with skates ' :D

Pia
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I agree - I never get tired of looking at my June or anyone else's. :P It always looks good no matter how much light it's in. I walked into a nursery yesterday that was having their spring grand opening. The most eye-catching hosta of the 12 - 15 in the greenhouse was June. That early spring yellow center just looked SOOOO good!! 8-)
Attachments
June in the foreground w/English Sunrise [another gold June sport]
June in the foreground w/English Sunrise [another gold June sport]
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I too, love this hosta!! Great picture's you all!!

Jim, you are too precious!! You always make me laugh! :lol:

I think I just might dig me a piece of this one, (if I get time from digging others) and just put one in more shade.....mine is in bright light/sun......I want to see that beauty of June!!

Thanks Hank/All!!! :D
John

Post by John »

'June' is far and away my favourite as well. jgh's photos show the coloring perfectly, sun and shade-- both are wonderful. I may give away all the other hostas, and just grow 'June' with suitable companions!
sugar

Post by sugar »

One of my favourites, and a well deserved 2nd place just behind Sagae.
It's the only Hosta in my collection of which I have 3 plants . The Halcyon family is really an incredible list of plants...
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

Bumping this up for the June question thread. :D
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I really can't add anything more to what has already been said about 'June'. I absolutely love it!
And Jim......love the pics of your sales area and the poster with the family tree. Wish you lived closer to me.....I'd be visiting your sales every year! :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I didn't realize this was an older post and was just reading down thru it when I saw Renaldo75. I am sad now, as I thought he was back! Hope someone that knows him lets him know how he is missed here.

June is amazing...I had mine for a couple years then saw Rob Mortko's in his garden. Looks totally different! Can't talk him out of a start off it...but he reassures me that my June will look just like it someday... :) His is about 8 years old I think, and truly magnificent.

Rob, if you're out there, would you post a pic of your June?
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
thy

Post by thy »

Thanks for bumping it up :D

Yes.. Miss Reldon too

And for the H. Junes.. it do show how differnt it can look :wink:
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Me too, Charla! :oops:

I have a very small June and hope to get anothr one next year! :roll:
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
sugar

Post by sugar »

Jim,

I think there is one small error in that family tree regarding June Fever. I read somewhere that the originator of this plant (Jan Van Den Top) is not sure about the origin of June Fever (June or Devon Green).

I've seen several June Fever sports that look exactly like Devon Green, so my money is on Devon Green...

sugar
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Sugar--I don't think Jim is monitoring the postings right now so you may want to bring this up again in a couple of weeks.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
thy

Post by thy »

Sugar...go ask Jan... then we will know if there is a question ot not :wink:
New Topic Post Reply