Pic of the Day--Atom Smasher

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Atom Smasher

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Atom Smasher is a special plant for several reasons. On a personal level, I got the plant as a gift from the originator, one of hostadoms master hybridizers, Ron Livingston. As a variety, Atom Smasher has unique, rippled foliage that I find very attractive. And finally, as a parent, Atom Smasher produces many offspring that are excellent in their own right. Because of this last item, I am posting a pic of some Atom Smasher seedlings that I have. The first pic, however is of Atom Smasher, taken in its first year, 2003, as a single eye plant. The second pic was taken in 2005 and shows the fast growth rate for this small sized variety which I have growing in a spot that gets about 6 hours of sun. The third pic is a group of some of my open pollinated Atom Smasher seedlings. Ron Livingston is continuing to do his hybridizing magic with this line of plants and we are now beginning to see some of the fascinating results.

Registry: not registered as of Dec. 2012
My Hostas: http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Atom+Smasher
Hosta Library: http://www.hostalibrary.org/a/atom.html
Atom Smasher seedlings 5-17-05cc.jpg
Atom Smasher 62605c.JPG
atom Smasher 6-26-03c 078.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Wow, Hank! Very :cool: ! Question: On the seedlings, how old were they before they started showing those zig-zag edges?
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

'Atom Smasher'

Post by thehostagourmet »

Nice looking plant, Hank. Who would have guessed that 'Ginko Craig' x 'Chartreuse Wiggles' would produce that.

George
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I'm really liking that one, Hank. How's it for substance compared to Kabitan?
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Nice looking AS, Hank. It grows faster then most hostas here. It's fertile as all heck and produces butt loads of seeds for me. I've also got some interesting seedlings from it here. So one can't go wrong with this one in the collection for sure.. I've always admired Rons work and he's got some awesome plants for sure..

"Wow glad there isn't a streaked version called Atom Smasher Supreme" :o..
as.JPG
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Charla--They showed those wavy edges within several weeks of sprouting. Not all of the AS seedlings have the wavy edges, however.

Mary Ann--I would say that it has better substance than the slug magnet. Also, it has not had any burning even though it gets that much sun.

Jamie--You'r sure right about fertility. I have a couple of hundred seedlings that will be two years old this year. It will be interesting to see what they all show. I have an all green AS seedling that is really unruly looking that also is very prolific. I'm now at the point where I don't know what to do with all the AS seedlings I've got.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Very 8-) !! Atom Smasher is pretty amazing.

I can think of what you could do with a couple of those seedlings, Hank. :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
hummingbird
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by hummingbird »

OMG what a beauty Hank... :o love those wiggles.
It grows quite quick too...can't ask for more than that.
Is this hosta available? If not, does anyone have any seed left....willing to purchase it of course, would love to try this one from seed for certain.
"Friends are as elusive as rainbows"
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

OMG, how cute!! I love it, and it's small!! :D
jgh

Post by jgh »

I really have nothing to add... I don't have it. I checked the Hosta Finder - it's not listed, not even in the back pages where registered plants that aren't known to be available for sale are marked with "?"

It certainly looks like H. sieboldii so I have to assume it has that in its heritage... that narrow leaf and cool rippling is a characteristic of that species.
2005.JPG
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

I have lusted for this one for years...the first time I saw a picture I needed it...AND THIS IS THE YEAR I FINALLY GET IT! I am SOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED! Just love the form and leaves!

Glad to see how fertile it is and that the skinny leaves with wavy edges can be passed on. Hoping to “cozy it up” with my great big streaked Blue Angel toward my eventual goal of a HUGE frosty blue Atom Smasher....say about 7’ wide by 3’ tall. A little blue one would be nice, too.

Does anyone know what it does as a pollen parent? Any hints as to the quickest way to get a great big blue Atom Smasher? Like, which hosta work best to pass on “huge” size and which hosta work best to pass on “frosty blue” color?

wanda
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Elatior should give you the size you're looking for, Wanda. And take any intense big blue you like that holds its color well & get to crossing!! :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
tsneal

Post by tsneal »

Love Ron's plants!!

Got some good looking babies there Hank!

Stephanie
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Hi Hank, thanks for posting this one, I love it...especially the seedlings!

I had never grown hosta from seed, wanted to try it and won some AS seeds on ebay. To make a long story short, I planted them only 3 weeks ago, a few have sprouted and are that wonderful yellow. :D :D They're about 3/8" tall. I'm wondering and hoping that perhaps you can tell me when they would start to exhibit the piecrusting if they are going to have it at all.

Thanks a bunch!
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Donna--I think it varies from plant to plant. I have had some seedlings show ripples right from the start and others took much longer. So, I would wait for a couple of years before giving up on a seedling, if then. Some of the AS seedlings end up being pretty ordinary but that is to be expected. Also, you can expect quite a few all green seedlings.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Thank you Hank, I'll be patient with them.

Out of the 25 seeds I planted, only 5 germinated, and all are yellow. I know this may sound corny, but the enjoyment I receive just looking at these little pips of yellow poking up out of the dirt is amazing.

Thanks again. :D
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

You may think it sounds corny, I think it sounds like hostaholism. :lol:
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Hank, great information! I agree with Renaldo, that I know of a place where you can "unload" some of those AS seedlings. Also, like Rachel, I would like to try my hand at some AS seeds, and would be willing to purchase some from someone who has them. :D Orrrr, if anyone is dividing one of those AS's..... :D :D :D

Donna, BTW, there is no such word as corny in hosta language. :lol:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Trudy

Post by Trudy »

Hank was very generous, and sent us two of his Atom Smasher seedlings last summer. It was a wonderful surprise package. Thanks again Hank for the nice surprise!

The seedlings produced a few seeds. Some very nice seedlings have come up, a few wavy greens, and one very nice streaked plant, not sure what they will look like mature, but look good now.

If I have time I could send a photo to you Hank, but havent figured out how to post photos small here, so thy dont cause problems.
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Trudy--I would be very interested in seeing the streaked plant. Ron Livingston just posted a photo of what looks like a streaked AS seedling on the pixlist and I think it is gorgeous. If your plant develops normally, I would be interested in working out a trade for a piece of it when you have enough to make a division.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
New Topic Post Reply