'Minnesota Nice' for druff & Roxanne & Linda P...

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

renaldo75

'Minnesota Nice' for druff & Roxanne & Linda P...

Post by renaldo75 »

It sure is a beauty this spring!! :P Up to 2 divisions already. I wanted Doug to see that it's liking Iowa, and I thought the 2 ladies would be interested to see what they missed out on at Jimmy Mac's. Yes - I'm rubbing it in just a little bit - but as they say: it's the luck of the draw. :wink: And if you wait another year or 2, I'll have a division for both of you. :P [Of course Roxanne will have already gone off & bought one by then.......if she hasn't already.] :roll:

It was one of the fastest to unfurl after the cold temps. I had mounded soil up over it, but it took off really fast after the temps got nicer. I had to move it to a holding bed this morning along with a bunch of others. [Long story that I'll tell someday.] I hope it continues to do well.

Hosta Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... ota%20Nice
MyHostas Database - http://www.myhostas.be/db/hostas/Minnesota+Nice
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/m/minnesota.html
Just gorgeous!!
Just gorgeous!!
2007 - 4-21 Garden 032 MiNi-06-E1S.jpg
2007 - 4-21 Garden 031 MiNi-06-E1S.jpg
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
jgh

Post by jgh »

Now, now, Reldon... it's not Minnesota Nice to rub things in. You should take decorum lessons from me. Quiet smugness is far preferable to open gloating - it's the Minnesota way!
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The hosta is lovely by the way :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

OC says if you got it

Post by oldcoot »

flaunt it. Beatiful Host -- John
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
jgh

Post by jgh »

It just struck me that some of our readers may not be familiar with the phrase "Minnesota Nice." It has been a tradition that Minnesotans will often be "nice" - sometimes to a fault. The politeness could be sweet... it could also drive you nuts.

Garrison Keilor gives some clues... like in Minnesota, if you want to offer a visitor coffee, you really have to do it three times. The first time they will answer something like "no, no... I'm fine." The second time they may say something like "no, no... don't go to any bother" - which means yes if you ask me one more time. The third time you ask, they will say... "well, OK, half a cup - but only if it's already made." You will then brew a fresh pot of coffee... and start the whole process over again with the cookies...

Drivers in Minnesota used to turn on their turn signals a quarter of a mile early so as not to surprise you at the last minute. Merging was hell, since the Minnesota Nice driver would always yield the right of way... sometimes two cars would come to complete stops, each waving the other on. Before the invention of "handicapped spaces" you could get a good parking spot near the door of the store because MN drivers would usually just leave the first couple spots for "older folks." My 78-year-old grandpa always did that...he worried about those older folks...

Unfortunately, those are childhood stories. For the most part, Minnesota nice is gone. Minnesota drivers are now just as rude as those in most states, though they haven't quite learned the aggressive tactics of some of the more East Coasty East Coast states (I used to live in Boston... and I've driven the New Jersey turnpike...) and they aren't quite as fast as LA drivers...

So, anyway... if you didn't know the meaning of the phrase, there it is!
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

It didn't surprise me, your roots are my roots, but Iowas and a bit more ought to have the same habit.

Ouer maners have changed too, but in the last year it have been HOT to drive polite, giving space for bikes, walkers and other soft "mowers" :-? :???: in Copenhagen... we are all tired of the: You want me slam the baseball bat methode"..
Hope it continues... but we can't all wait for a slow car... so have to find a level :D

Hey Jim, in Southern Jutland where my dad was raised, it is not polite to say YES before you are begged/invited 7 times :o ...some of the old folks still follow that habit.. even if they wouldn't get a grumble in other parts of the country...
But you can't eat you trough a Sout Jutland coffee table with in a week :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
maidofshade

Post by maidofshade »

I hope your saying your still Minnesota Nice jgh ?:lol: :lol: I suppose I need to get that one now :-?
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Thanks for explaining 'Minnesota Nice', Jim - that was kinda neat. :P I honestly wasn't sure what the name referred to. That reminds me a bit of growing up here in SW Iowa. At least with the parents I had & people we knew. It was definitely a slower pace 40 years ago. But you still won't find too many crazy drivers here - unless the high school just let out for the day. :wink:

And Pia - I once again read your PM before I knew what you were talking about on the forum. LOL But at least you gave me enough to go on this time that I could answer correctly without wondering what you were talking about. :wink:

Maid of Shade - yes you do!!:)

Jim & anyone else who wonders what I'm talking about regarding Roxanne & Linda. Last summer at Jimmy Mac's get-together, we had a drawing of hostas we'd brought & put into the 'pile' to draw from. Roxanne was in charge & had us pick from a deck of cards to determine the order of selection for each round. [There were enough plants for 3 rounds.] I had a higher card than both Roxanne & Linda in the 1st round & picked Minnesota Nice OS which Doug Ruff had brought all the way from Minnesota. The competition was hot just like the day. :wink: LOL And Roxanne was not happy with my selection. :wink: I found out later that Linda had her eye on it too.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

What a hoot! :lol: Thanks for the explanation, jgh, on Minnesota Nice. I immediately thought of Garrison Keillor's stories I listen to on the Prairie Home Companion radio show each weekend. :lol:
Looks like a real beauty, Ren! I hope it multiplies quickly...for the sake of the others that you've promised a piece of it to. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

That Minnesota Nice is looking good! (I can't wait to hear the story about the move to the holding bed)
jgh, that was a really nice summary of the reason for the hosta name. I didn't grow up in Minnesota, but I do remember the time when a polite refusal was met by further offers, until everyone was settled down with coffee and a little snack. (Actually it was more like a 3 course meal...
Could I interest you in a sandwich?
No, I don't believe so.
Well, maybe just a half?
No, I'm really not hungry, don't go to any trouble on my account.
I was just about to have one myself, so I'll go ahead and make an extra in case you change your mind.
Oh, really, I don't want to cause you any extra work.
And on it would go until there were sandwiches, cookies, cake, or pie, and probably some applesauce or fruit.)
Okay, back to the hosta.
Reldon, you really don't have to share a start of that one with me. Honestly, I don't want you to go to any trouble on my account. I'd hate to cause you extra work....
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
jgh

Post by jgh »

Well, Reldon... you can be darn sure that goes for me, too... no way I'd expect you to put aside a little piece of that hosta for me... no, I'm sure you can do something better with it...no, no, don't go to any bother... I'm fine, ya shure, youbetcha!
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Again.......... :lol: .. :lol: .. :lol: .. :lol:

Out I go to the gardens laughing!! :lol:
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

:lol: :lol:
But seriously Reldon, that pic is just beautiful!

Yes, I did have my eye on that one! I remember seeing that Hosta and exclaiming, "ventricosa Aureomaculata!!" and was told by Doug that it was Minnesota Nice, and os as well. :P

.........and seeing this thread made me rush outside to look at the one that Doug sent ME last year so see I have 4 eyes already!! :wink: :lol: :lol:
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Linda & Jim - you are a hoot!!

Well Roxanne, I guess that worked out very Minnesota Nicely in your favor. :roll:
whine whine whine :wink:
Sounds like you've got enough eyes to share with Linda & Jim already so I won't have to divide mine after all. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Beautiful hosta and beautiful pics, Renaldo....and since you now seem to have some extra eyes available.... :D 8-) 8-) :D :lol:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
malaprop

Post by malaprop »

For a taste of "Minnesota Nice" watch the preview.

This was a good little movie, IMHO.

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Fargo/493387?trkid=190393
Trudy

Post by Trudy »

Hey Renaldo, thanks for sharing the photo, its a beauty!

I dont even remember seeing that hosta in the middle of the hosta pot. Guess I was to busy looking at Jimmy's gardens and didnt get a good look what was going to be up for grabs, didnt matter cause my number must of been lower than yours.
Maybe someone will have one to trade sometime...............
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

Trudy!! I haven't seen you in awhile...That day was wonderful wasn't it? We traded Beconing for Lakeside Masterpiece, amongst other things....and I had a wonderful time! I believe Linda P. stepped up to have the next get together, can't wait!

Reldon, I am a whiner, sometimes........ :P :lol: :lol:

But, I haven't whined a bit about all the frozen eyes here, and it is plenty. This time around, I am gonna roll with the punches. Nature happens. :D
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:lol:

Charla.....maybe we BOTH can get one of those EXTRA eyes he seems to have now..... :P
New Topic Post Reply