Pic of the Day--Striptease

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Striptease

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Striptease has a unique variegation pattern with its "extra" strip of white coloring but it has difficulty passing a 10 foot or 20 foot rule because the diminutive size of the strip. With or without the "extra" this has been a very good performing variety in our garden. I purchased the plant in 1999 and have been growing it in a spot that receives little direct sun but does get good open shade. It had a very fast growth rate and by 2001 it was 48x24. In 2002 it was 53x23, 60x24 in 2003, 67x26 in 2004 but then it took a bit of a dive and was down to 53x22 in 2005 and 56x27 last summer. I have no idea why it lost size but can say its overall appearance was not affected. Zilis' listing is 50x20. Striptease does need slug protection.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... Striptease

MyHostas - http://www.myhostas.be/db/hostas/Striptease

Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/s/strip.html
Striptease 6-26-06 011.jpg
Last edited by Hank Zumach on Apr 26, 2007 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Love it Hank. Thanks for sharing!

I don't have this one, I've heard most on the market have HVX...so I've shied away from it. Are you aware of any truth to that?
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
Hosta12_Ia

Post by Hosta12_Ia »

Donna, go look up Chris'. He has had his checked. Run, don't walk and order one today!! :D
Jo
The Garden is a Mirror of the Heart
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Hank, glad the POTD is back! :D How's it going with the new computer? :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
jgh

Post by jgh »

Good old Gold Standard grows fast and is cheap... great garden hosta. It is also unstable, tossing off lots of sports. Differences in the margins, no margins (all yellow), no centers (all green), some variations in size of plant and leaves... Captain Kirk is one of those great mutations.

but when GS tossed a sport back in the 1980s with a variable white thread, sort of between the yellow center and green margin... now that was something special. Striptease kept the best qualities of its parent... fast growth, attractive coloration, nice large overall clump size - and a great name to boot. It was selected Hosta of the Year for 2005

It is interesting that Zilis listed only two sports from Striptease... G String and Gamma Ray. I've never found either of those available in wholesale and don't have them. But in just the few years since Mark published his book, there's been a raft of sports.

Going from memory, I've got...
Kiwi Full Monty (smaller, twistier, and bluer... competes with the original for my affection - actually, I think I have grown to like KFM more than Striptease,

Risky Business - pretty much a narrow white centered, green margined, so no "strip" visible... some people really really like it... for me, its OK...

Gypsy Rose - lighter center, though mine often doesn't display any white line.

Hanky Panky is in wholesale this year, so it should be widely available. I know there is at least one other that has this basic coloration, reversed of Striptease. I've added HP this spring.

Others I've read about... Yellow Polka Dot Bikini, White Bikini, Silver Eagle, Blue Without You. I ran across a photo my friend Teresa ran on another forum of BWY - she got it at the Mpls Farmers' Market from Hideko Gowen last year. Really Blue, really nice... I've got to look at for that one!
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Beautiful Striptease, Hank :P - whether it's smaller or not.

I've had 3 of them. One ended up in a friend's garden a couple of years ago. The last one I got was moved out of the bed it was in after a redesign. Part of it ended up in Patsue's garden since she'd lost hers or it had HVX [can't remember which now]. It was the most expensive. Silly me thought it was sporting because of what the white line was doing. Looked like there were multiple veins of white in different places & globs of white in others. After it was put in my garden, it still kind of did that on some leaves, not so much on others. :???: Oh well... Last fall I divided it into 12 different divisions & I see that a few of them leafing out still have the multiple veining. I thought maybe drastic division would encourage something to happen. We'll see. :wink:

The 2nd one I got was part of a 3 hosta package from the AHS Auction in 2003. The person offering the package stated that it was Striptease OS. Since I didn't have anything else at the time that was OS, I spent too much money on it & the others [Formal Attire & a Guardian Angel that has yet to grow] - but as they say the money went for a good cause. LOL Here's a pic of it from last summer when it was 18" H x 37" W & leaves were 5" W x 8.25" L with 11 vein pairs. There may be some roots that are giving it some competition & it needs to be replanted a little bit lower. It's been in this spot since the summer of 2003.
here's what it looked like in June after some of the hostas around it were removed/repositioned
here's what it looked like in June after some of the hostas around it were removed/repositioned
the centers get bleached out quite a bit my mid-August in the spot I've got it in
the centers get bleached out quite a bit my mid-August in the spot I've got it in
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Donna--I've heard the same thing about HVX. Be careful, Jo's advise sounds good to me.

Charla--I've got the darn thing kind of working but I'm having problems getting some file to transfer. Curse you, Bill Gates!!

Reldon--Are you saying that you split up a virused plant? The virus will stay in each division.

Jim--Thanks for your usual fact filled posting.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Thanks Jo and Hank. Sounds like a good idea! I know Chris takes HVX seriously. :wink: I can always find room for one more.
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Love it..but you are ringht it do not stand out today as it did some years ago :wink:

Got Risky Business the other day.. do not relly know why.. it haven't been that high on my wishlist... maybe the space I have in the garden did it :lol:

If I had to take only one of Striptease or Kiwi Full Monthy.. I would end up a bid sad but with KFM in my arms :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
wzbt03

Striptease

Post by wzbt03 »

Usually while on vacation I sometimes find a plant at a local nursery that just cannot be passed up. This Striptease (20 eyes and busting to get out of the pot) was just too tempting for the price of three big macs.
I already have 3 or 4 and will have to get rid of A couple of them this year. I like the plant but with its limited breeding potential and fast growth, there are others I would rather fill the space. Of course if they would start throwing sports for me, I might consider keeping them.
With all of the above said, a full sized Striptease is still an impressive plant for me.
Striptease 4_26.jpg
Striptease 4_26.jpg (30.79 KiB) Viewed 4589 times
jgh

Post by jgh »

for comparison...
20 Kiwi Full Monty - closeup.JPG
Striptease closeup rdcd.JPG
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I also had a virused Striptease that I had to dig up.....but then my old pal, Roxanne sent me this one..... :P
s 050.jpg
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Wow, Lucy, she's a good pal!! :o :D :lol:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Yep, she is!! :cool:
jgh

Post by jgh »

for Pia... just a reminder why you needed Risky Business!
Risky Business closeup rdcd.JPG
Risky Business rdcd.JPG
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Striptease is still a favorite for me, and always will be. I got KFM and Hanky Panky last year, the only sports of Striptease that I have. Love both of them, too.
I had one section of Striptease that seems to be sporting. Nothing real exciting, but there are always a couple of eyes where the leaves stand straight up. They don't seem to have much white, and the centers get lighter faster than the rest of the plant. If it's still there this year, I may try to separate it. Just hate to disturb such a big lush plant, though.....
Linda P
Striptease at the base of the tree...a recent POTD subject, Summer Breeze, off to the left at the bottom of the pic.
Striptease at the base of the tree...a recent POTD subject, Summer Breeze, off to the left at the bottom of the pic.
Striptease,BwPkysGld June 18.JPG
Striptease,BwPkysGld June 18.JPG (51.4 KiB) Viewed 4508 times
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Hank - I didn't mean that the Striptease I had divided & given part to Patsue was virused. I meant that her Striptease was possibly virused. Mine just had more white than the usual narrow line separating the center & margin. Sorry for any confusion. I'll see if I can find a pic of it I took a couple of years ago.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Reldon--Whew!! It would be interesting to see the photos. :D
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I really like Striptease, even though the "strip" is quite small in some cases. All of your pics are gorgeous! Here's mine:
StripteaseLeafFt.CirBed6-05.jpg
StripteaseFtCirBed6-21-05.jpg
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

OK - after some sleuthing thru my pic files I found a couple of pics from 2005 of the Striptease that's doing something a little different. Probably others have seen something similar, but I've never seen any like it but mine so far.

What I noticed on one of the divisions this year looks very similar to the largest leaf in the early pic from 2005. If it would develop that white veining throughout the center of the leaf then I might have something. :???:
and here it is just a couple of weeks after the 1st pics - one center leaf & the ones @ 10 o'clock, 2, & 3 show the 'extra' white the best
and here it is just a couple of weeks after the 1st pics - one center leaf & the ones @ 10 o'clock, 2, & 3 show the 'extra' white the best
Here it is as it emerges & unfurls
Here it is as it emerges & unfurls
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply