Pic of the Day--September Sun

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--September Sun

Post by Hank Zumach »

HI All--When I purchased September sun in 1999 I planted it in an area of dense shade. It did well there and provided a nice splash of bright color to that area. Its size, starting in 2001, was 36x13, 42x17, 46x19, 47x22, and 47x19 in 2005. Then in very early 2006 we had some trees removed from that area resulting in September Sun getting good, open shade. The plant responded to the extra light by getting up to 53x24. I really enjoy the overall appearance of this variety and recommend it, particularly for shadier spots. The plant has attracted some slugs but the problem but slug bait took care of it.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... mber%20Sun
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/September+Sun
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/s/septsun.html

The photos are from 2002, 2004, and 2006.
September Sun 6-26-06c.jpg
September Sun 7-2-04c.JPG
September Sun 6-24-02c 038.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Nice Hank! :D Thanks for posting this.

Is this similar to Gold Standard?
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi--Not really. If you saw them side by side you would notice significant differences.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
jgh

Post by jgh »

I like SS very much... but by now, regular readers know about my near-obsession with August Moon and its family of sports.

GoofingInSlop - one of the reasons I like this family so much is that many of the plants have the same characteristics as August Moon... same clump size, same leaf size, shape, and characteristics... and then they vary by color. That makes them great for "family plantings" playing off the variation in shades and patterns.

that being said, the typical gardener probably only needs one yellow-centered, green-margined sport of AM. September Sun is great... so is Lunar Magic (which is supposed to have a wider margin). Ditto for the green-centered sports... Abiqua Moonbeam is great... I can't tell the difference between it and Mayan Moon...

Pics illustrate how these plants "blend."

September Sun was registered by Solberg all the way back in 1985.
AM family is in lower right of photo
AM family is in lower right of photo
AM Family  September Sun rdcd.JPG
Trio - leaves - Abiqua Moonbeam, August Moon, September Sun rdcd.JPG
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

'September Sun'

Post by thehostagourmet »

Hank, I too am a fan of 'September Sun'. I have it planted next to 'August Moon' in the back border, although 'September Sun' gets to be substantially larger.

Jim, last summer I crossed 'August Moon' with a blue seedling and have two little blue-green seedlings under lights. I hope they have the good traits of 'August Moon' in blue. These are the first from 'August Moon' that have lasted to this stage. That's why I'm watching them so closely.

George
jgh

Post by jgh »

Good luck with those crosses, George!

I was recently going through some notes and found I had incorrectly recorded that Glory is a sport from August Moon. I looked it up and found that August Moon is the pod or pollen parent of several good hostas.

Glory was registered as an AM seedling by R. Savory in 1985. Old Glory, margined sport of G, registered by H.Hansen/Shady Oaks in 1999.

Maui Buttercups - Frances Williams x AM

Moon Waves - Zilis says it is registered as a sport of AM but it is "no doubt a seedling."

Squash Casserole - Hirao Elite x AM
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I've got my September Sun in a grouping with August Moon & Abiqua Moonbeam. I've just got one other sport [that I can think of at the moment] - Velvet Moon. It's still in a holding bed, but it may get moved closer to the trio eventually.

George - I was interested when you said your September Sun grew larger than August Moon. My September Sun has been bigger than August Moon for the last couple of years & so has Abiqua Moonbeam.

Also - for George or jgh or anyone who's heard of it before, last summer I acquired a hosta named Jade Moon in a private trade with the photo~artist formerly known as RockinCPeg. When I was doing research on it for my spreadsheet this winter, I found NOTHING about any hosta named Jade Moon. So I was curious if this was a green sport that had been discovered & given a name or what. It is not completely green - more of a greenish-blue [rather than a blue-green]. I keep forgetting to ask Peg where she got it & if she knew its origins. Maybe she'll see this. I'm interested in any info on it. Thanks!!

Here's a pic of my September Sun last year. It's always been in this spot since the summer of 2003 and gets quite a bit of sun from about noon until 4pm or so. The margins on it have always been pretty light. They've never been as dark as Hank's or jgh's.
Attachments
2006 - 5-15-06 077 SeSu-02-E3.jpg
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Maria Plater-Zyberk (originator of Moon Waves) used August Moon in a lot of her crosses. She was fairly convinced that it was simply a stable gold sieboldiana, which would come reasonably true from seed (in the way that Elegans comes reasonably true from seed). I'm not sure how Moon Waves got registered as a sport, but in Maria's garden it might have been very hard to tell which was the "original" August Moon and which were the seedlings.
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

A gorgeous September Sun Hank!

Reldon, Jade Moon is an unregistered sport of August Moon. Here's a picture of mine taken in May of 2005.

"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Thanks, Peg - I can't wait for mine to look as good as yours does!! It's doing well this spring. :P
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Hank, I love this hostas. Mine gets quite a bit of afternoon sun but doesn't seem to mind. :-)

New Topic Post Reply