Pic of the Day--Sea Thunder

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Sea Thunder

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Sea Thunder has been a problem plant for me and apparently for many others. It should be noted that the descriptions in the Hostas Library database, which I believe are taken from catalogs, are very complimentary. I have had the plant since 1998 and because it ended each year as a ragged mess, I have tried growing it in several different light conditions. In 2004 in tried it in a spot that gets a lot of sun and it wasn't happy there, either. So, its final address is in Loser's Lane, where it gets only dappled light. It's growth rate has been poor, also. Starting in 2001 it has measured 8x8, 12x7, 13x8, 10x10, 18x9, and 15x7 last summer. Zilis lists it at 33x16. To top it off, slugs like it. The only redeeming quality of this plant in our garden is attractive foliage in the very early season.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... %20Thunder
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Sea+Thunder
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/s/seathunder.html

The photos are from late June and late August.
Sea Thunder 8-30-02c 208.jpg
Sea Thunder 6-26-03c283.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Thanks, Hank - I definitely don't need one of those!! :???:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

Sea Thunder

Post by thehostagourmet »

I lost patience with mine too, but it died before I could shovel prune it.

George
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

I completely agree. File this one right next to 'Island Charm'. :-?
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

eeeuwwww! :eek:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
MAC_MN

Post by MAC_MN »

Looks just like my 2002 plants. Have two plants, left one alone and is still a single eye. Moved the second and it is a bit "happier" now with 3 eye and looks good right now.... but not for long.

Please try h. American Sweetheart a tetraploid sport of Sea Thunder from Hans Hansen. I have two and both are doing very well. Nice thick leaves and an above average growth rate.

MAC
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Charla took the word right out of my mouth!!
eewww!!!!

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

This is my "don't blink or you'll miss it" pic of Sea Thunder this year. I think I'll move it to a new bed to see if I can maintain this beauty.

I bought American Sweetheart at the end of the year, dormant, sight unseen. But it really looks very little like Sea Thunder. More of a beefier Night Before Christmas so far, and the center is not at all white (yet). I may do a swap-out with Sea Thunder and see what happens.
barbara

Post by barbara »

Tigger, if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it! some plants are finicky, and this may be one. If its doing well where it is, leave it be, I say. Here's a pic. of mine, same spot since I got it, gets bigger and better each year. Its not yet totally unfurled, but stands about 20 inches high so far and a nice tight clump. took the pic. a few minutes ago. :D
Attachments
Copy of May07 003.jpg
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Barbara--Does your plant hold up forthe season? If so, its a rarity and must be a beautiful plant.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
barbara

Post by barbara »

Hank, it does, as well as any other, and would do better if I treated for slugs, which I don't, anywhere. Though I do have to say, it is in almost full sun most of the day, on a steep slope, and if if gets real hot, it may have some melt out after a number of days, but so do others....so....!
Thanks, I do think its a pretty good looking specimen, if I may say so myself :wink: :D
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I don't think my ST liked where it was planted and it may have finally bit the dust. :roll: I won't go out of my way to replace it, but it sure can look pretty......at least for a short time.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi Hank!!

I have ST and I think it is smaller this year....My 2 Guac's and Stained Glass is also....I think it's the spring we had, because Sea Thunder has been good till this year....I will look closer tomorrow! :D
poppi

Post by poppi »

I'll have to post a pic of my Sea Thunder. It's doing very well and I virtually ignore it. I don't know why the difference. :-?

Hank, your's looks like the bugs love it! It must be very tasty. I had the same problem with Cherry Berry and decided to move it into a pot. It's thriving there. I suggest you do the same with ST. Perhaps it will do better.
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Poppi--Why would the insects not bother a potted plant? We have never grown hostas in pots, except temporarily, so I don't have much experience with it.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
poppi

Post by poppi »

Hank, I think mine was attacked by ground insects and getting it off the ground insulated it a bit. I guess I forgot that I also moved it once potted to another location so it might be that the insect weren't as bad.

Here's a pic of Sea Thunder. I bought it in '05 and it seems to have done well. THere is a bit of damage from the late freeze, but it's recovered nicely.
Attachments
sea-thunder.jpg
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Poppi--Thanks for the update. Your plant looks great. If you think of it, would you post a photo of it in August? You may have the best performing Sea Thunder in all of Hostadom. :D
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Poppi,

How do you winter over your potted hostas?

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
Lat: 42.89N, Lon: 77.28W
poppi

Post by poppi »

Hank, I'll do my best to remember to take a picture then and post it. From what I recall from last year it looked pretty good then. I'm curious now so I'll be sure to keep an eye out.

Molly, I put the pots in the garage. I don't water them until the spring when they start to wake...which is usually earlier than if they were in the gound. My husband turns the pots on their side and forgets about them. They usually do fine as well. I have lost a few that were left outside to late freeze so you need to be aware of the weather until after the last freeze.

poppi
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Thanks Poppi. We don't have a garage. Would you know approximately how cold it gets in there? Maybe I can find some place here to duplicate your conditions. I'd love to have some potted hostas. I think I'll experiment with undulata since I have tons of those :wink:

Thanks!
MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
Lat: 42.89N, Lon: 77.28W
New Topic Post Reply