'Azure Snow' ?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
thy
USDA Zone: 7

'Azure Snow' ?

Post by thy »

Please give me some info on yours.

Mine is green, green, blue, have the white underside and the 12 vein pairs, but it is a monster.. 175 cm wide, around 100 cm. more than told in Diana's book and way bigger than other info too.

So size, color and amount of sunlight please :wink:

Hosta Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... ure%20Snow
MyHostas Database - http://www.myhostas.be/db/hostas/Azure+Snow
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/a/azuresnow.html
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

'Azure Snow'

Post by thehostagourmet »

Pia, my two are in pots for ease of hybridizing, so their size isn't relevant. I got them directly from Peter Ruh a few years ago, and at that time was given a tour of his gardens. He pointed out one large 'Azure Snow' in deep shade and mentioned he'd have to move it. Why? It was GREEN. Blue Hostas need lots of light, not direct sun necessarily, to form the wax that makes them blue. Too much sun will melt the wax.

It does get to be a large plant, although your 70 in. dia. x 40 in. tall is probably its maximum.

George
Last edited by thehostagourmet on May 23, 2007 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Pia, I'll have to see if I can get a decent pic of mine. It's in bright shade, no direct sun, but lots of light. It has a nice aqua blue color that doesn't translate well in pics.
I moved mine in 2005, divided it to give a piece to a friend, and it didn't care for being disturbed. It went back to juvenile form and has had to start over again. We've had a lot of high winds this year, and the poor thing has taken a beating. Before I divided it, it was on the way to becoming very large, but I don't think it was quite as big as yours.
I've seen one plant that was definitely much, much larger than the 20"X45" size listed in the Hosta Handbook.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
barbara

Post by barbara »

Hi Pia, it sure is a big one :D , a favorite of mine. Heres a picture of it from 2005. Lots of light and sun, and lots of water. Picture is a little washed out, it was taken mid-day, can't find the other one I have taken in the evening, where the color is intense.
June19-05Stairs 014.jpg
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Lovely Barbara

George, I have blue in morning sun only and in all afternoon and midday sun.
I have thought this one got more sun than those in morning sun, but it may not be correct, it is under a crery blossom tree I cut is to be open every second year, but it may give more shade than I thought..

Lots of light, but...

I will look closely in the next days
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
barbara

Post by barbara »

found the other pic. See, told ya the color was intense!
I like taking pix. in the evening, the sun washes out the colors. It was a bit dark, so all I did was adjust the contrast, so if that means anything to those that know, let me know! but it is a great blue.
Copy of AzureSnow.jpg
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

Your Azure Snow appears to be a nice mature clump ... It does have the lower profile of Azure Snow.
Here's my immature clump ... three years old as of 2005
Helen
Azure Snow and friends 6 22 05.jpg
A day without laughter AND gardening is a day wasted ... oh ... and be kind to your children ... they will choose your nursing home!
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

Helen: Your Azure Snow is quite a bit larger now - 10 eyes and nearly 3’ across (same size/eyes as mine)...and they just started unfurling last week. They will be over 4’ across by mid-summer. Just love the “different” blue and low stature of this one - I can hardly believe those short stubby petioles can hold those big leaves horizontally. Maekawa is really cool too! Just got Lemon Meringue last year and can hardly wait to see what it will be like when it grows up.

Oh, man, I sure hope mine grows up to look just like Barbara’s (and be the size of Pia’s)!!! Simply stunning!!! Boy, I had thought mine looked pretty good...but now I can see it has a way to go yet (hehe).

wanda
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

What a Beauty!!!! I Need That Hosta!!! Who sells it?

Debbie
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

'Azure Snow'

Post by thehostagourmet »

It's also a great hybridizing plant. My 'Lily Blue Eyes' (registration submitted in January) is 'Salute' x 'Azure Snow'. I have quite a few crosses with it from the last few years that look very good too. It passes on both blue and white backs.

George
NWhosta4life

Post by NWhosta4life »

one of my favorites indeed. Cant wait for mine to get as large as barbara's. Ive used this one in many crosses...it gives off some pretty yellows as well as blues.
New Topic Post Reply