Pic of the Day--Island Charm

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Island Charm

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--I got Island Charm in 2002 and have it planted in a spot that gets a couple of hours of sun in the middle of the summer and less at other times of the year. It is an attractive plant early in the season but, like many white centered varieties, has had some burn out problems later in the summer. Its size has gone from 11x5 in 2002 to 13x6, 15x7, 16x6, and 14x7 in 2006. If it makes it to Zilis' listing of 22x10, it will take a long time. The plant needs slug protection.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... nd%20Charm

MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Island+Charm

Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/i/ischarm.html
Island Charm 6-26-03c 052.jpg
Island Charm 6-26-03c 052.jpg (50.35 KiB) Viewed 2303 times
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
tsneal

Post by tsneal »

Hank, this one is driving me nuts. It is going on it's third year and is not much bigger (if any) and Cat's Eyes. I have no idea why it is so small?

Stephanie
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Sometimes it is the micro-climate, meaning the plant is not getting enough sun or nutrients, even though it is only a short distance from other plants that are doing well. It could be something like a tree root or several rocks just under the root ball.

Most of the time, probably, it is because of the genes of the particular plant. Just like there are some humans and other animals that are "runts" so it is with hostas. All the plants that are being produced by tissue culture have made this problem more common.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Yours is a nice one, Hank. :P

I know a lot of people have problems with this one, but I've always had good luck with it even though it's not a real fast grower. When I got it back in 2002 it was 3 separate divisions when the soil was shaken off so I planted them in a cluster in a spot that got some direct & dappled midday sun. They always did well. One of the 3 got sent off in a trade several years ago.

Last fall I moved the other 2 to a spot getting similar sun/shade with Old Glory & the Island Charm sport, Green Lama. I thought that would make a neat combination using the same colors but very different sizes. Green Lama was much bigger than both Island Charms put together. The larger Island Charm was 9" H x 14.5" W, leaves 2.5" W x 3.75" L w/7 vein pairs. The smaller Island Charm was 5" H x 9.5" W, leaves 1.875" W x 3.375" L w/6 vein Pairs. And Green Lama was 13" H x 27" W, leaves 3.75" W x 5.375" L w/7 vein pairs. I divided Green Lama in 1/2 before I planted it.

Here's what they look like this year in a holding bed I've moved them to. Kinda looks like stairsteps. You'd never know that I halved GL & that larger Island Charm has really taken off!! :o :cool:

This was taken a week ago on 5/17.

Here's what they look like today after a nice rain.
The small IC is 3.5" H x 7.5" W, the large IC is 6" H x 13" W, and Green Lama is 11" H x 24" W and still growing!! :P

GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I had good success, I guess, with Island Charm. I say I guess, because after I planted it 3 years ago, it didn't grow much. But it did always look good most of the year...in dappled shade also. After hearing many others experiences, I guess mine has been good. After the freeze, though, it is just a tiny little thing, so I think I will dig it up today and pot it. Hopefully some softer soil will help it recover.
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Charla--Based on my reading from a number of sources, I believe that in the large majority of cases, the best thing to do with a plant is to leave it in place. The plants are better off having their roots stay in place. When they are dug up and replanted, the roots have to go through a process of re-establishing the contact with the surrounding soil that slows down the overall growth and development of the plant. You also are likely to lose some roots during the transfer.

Obviously, when the plant is in a bad location (wrong lighting, tree roots, really poor soil etc.) it is better off being moved but that is the exception, not the rule.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I like my IC too....no picture to share right now, but it was a secret trade from :roll: .......It's at the tip of my tongue... :lol:

Nice pictures!! :D
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Thanks for the tip, Hank. I am a little concerned about the soil being part of the problem. We have heavy clay soil, that although well amended, seems still a little heavy, and is getting somewhat compacted again. With a couple of my small ones I am wondering if that is making it hard for them to press through. Is there a way I could loosen the soil then, rather than moving them? I have 3 altogether that are having similar problems. Thanks!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Charla--Fortunately, I don't have any clay to deal with. So, other than the general advice of "put your $5 plants in $50 holes", I can't help much. I think if it was me, I'd try to lift up the entire clump, starting far enough away from the crown so that all of the roots would stay in place in the soil, remove more of the poor soil from the hole and replace it with compost or whatever you have, and then put the clump back into the spot.

I do know that clay soil is a real problem. Why don't you start a separate thread and ask other what they do?
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
New Topic Post Reply