Pic of the Day--Kabitan

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Kabitan

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--I imagine there will always be heated discussions among hostaphiles about the bluest blue, the best streaked breeder, the best yellow in shade, etc. But does anyone actually know of a hosta variety that is a worse slug magnet than Kabitan? I really like Kabitan before the slugs get to it, such as shown in the pic. It has very bright, attractive foliage, a good growth rate, and does well in a variety of sun conditions. But no matter where you plant it, there will be slugs there. A constant supply of Deadline MP or Slug Killer? Oh, some of them will graze on the slug bait but there will be more that slither past the bait in their slimy rush to get to the Slug Ambrosia that is Kabitan.

I got Kabitan in 1994 and eventually divided it to make a small bed. The plants are about 12 inches high. Zilis lists it at 14x32. Did I mention that Kabitan has a problem with slugs?

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... ty=Kabitan
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Kabitan
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/k/kab.html
Kabitan 62605c.JPG
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
Arlene

Post by Arlene »

As always, I appreciate your "hits and misses" comments . . . I think when I want to see a nice stand of Kabitan, I'll just look at this picture instead of adding it to my collection!!

I do love the way the plants in the picture arch over the steps . . . I'm printing out a lot of your pics for inspiration for my new property!
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Arlene--One of these days I am going to start a series of photos showing some of our hosta groupings and beds. You may get some ideas about combinations, etc. from those photos.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
digs57

Post by digs57 »

There is now apparently a tetraploid sport of Kabitan, First Mate; tougher substance, somewhat wider green edge, and an even more vigorous grower.

http://www.hostalibrary.org/f/firstmate.html

If anyone has it, I'd love to see a pic of a plant older than a year or two.

Digs.
...greening up the Great White North!!!

Digs' hosta list
45° 22' N 75° 43' W, 114 metres (374 ') above sea level.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

It is beautiful in that pic, Hank! Any problems with slugs? :roll: :lol:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Still, with that caveat, it's an undeniably beautiful and useful cultivar. Cascading down a little slope, as Hank shows it, it can be stunning.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

That's really too bad about the slugs being so persistent. Have you tried do a moat of beer perhaps around the plant?

Do the slugs leave the other hosta alone that are around it?

And just where do slugs come from? What if you put in raised cantainer, would they still find it, if you rimmed the bottom of the pot with vaseline?
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

wishiwere wrote: And just where do slugs come from? What if you put in raised cantainer, would they still find it, if you rimmed the bottom of the pot with vaseline?
Does that work? I have alot of container plantings of all kinds and the snails have been terrible this year! :evil:
Charla
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

This perspective will probably be considered heresy in the hosta & gardening world. But from my observations of the slug problems most of you seem to have, here's why you have a problem - you mulch your gardens. Slugs love to live under things where it's cool & damp and so mulch is perfect for them. Especially the larger shredded bark type mulch. I use no mulch & I have no slug problem. I do find one once in a great while when I move a rock or a brick, but rarely & they've never bothered my hostas in the 6 years I've had hostas planted in the ground.

Here's my Kabitan peaking out from under Silk Kimono about 10 days ago.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Jane--There is some damage on the nearby hostas but I think that is coincidental. I use Deadline MP on our garden fro slugs and it does a great job....except for Kabitan and Invincible. There is something about those two varieties that causes the slug to more or less bypass the Deadline. I don't try to garden in containers so I don't have any experience with your suggestions.

Reldon--I haven't used mulch for a number of years. But, the canopy of hosta leaves does provide a cool, shaded, moist environment.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I don't currently use mulch, but was planning to start after all my hostas leafed out too early this year. However, with the slug population I have now, I don't know if mulch would be a good idea. But then, here in these woods, if it eats plants, bites or crawls, or grows fungus...I have it in epidemic proportions...sometimes I wonder why I try as it really seems a battle alot of the time.... :roll:
Charla
Arlene

!

Post by Arlene »

Arlene--One of these days I am going to start a series of photos showing some of our hosta groupings and beds. You may get some ideas about combinations, etc. from those photos.
Great idea!!! Thanks!! I'm actually starting a notebook of pics from here and elsewhere for ideas to consider when we move! We'll have a path down from our houses through the woods to the swimming pool location . . . I'm seeing wide, very gradual platform-steps all lined with hostas and other woodsy things . . . mmmmm! Your hillside inspires me!

Our house here at the lake is a modest sized totally flat lot with several maple trees -- so woods and hills will be new to me. So -- ideas -- Bring 'em on!!!
maidofshade

Post by maidofshade »

I love the combinations that we can see in your POD. Additional posts of combos would be great as this just makes my head spin when I try to decide who to put where and next to which one :o
New Topic Post Reply