Pic of the Day--Allan P. McConnell

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Allan P. McConnell

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--A few days ago the Pic of the Day was Ginko Craig and I said "Ginko Craig is another variety that just seems to quietly chug along, doing its job of attractively filling up it's assigned garden space. It's good growth rate, mound shape and size make it very useful as an edger". The same things can be said about today's variety, Allen P. McConnell. APM does not have the late season "tired" look that Ginko Craig has. I purchased APM in 1999 and had it growing in an area that receives a few hours of afternoon sun, depending on the time of the year. Its size averaged about 28x10, compared to Zilis' listing of 39x13. Slugs are only a minor problem.

Registry link: http://hostaregistrar.org/detail.php?id ... 0McConnell
MyHostas Database link: http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Allan+P.+McConnell
Hosta Library: http://www.hostalibrary.org/a/allanpmcconnell.html
Allan P. McConnell 7-7-04c.JPG
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Sounds and looks like a depending great hosta! What more can one ask? Except maybe the blue coloring I'm parital too :D

Seriously, you have wonderful hosta! It's a joy to look forward to your POTD :D
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I like my APM...it is so reliable for me.
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

I find Zilis's listings pretty funny for hostas like this that will spread and spread and spread. Who knows how big it could really get? But with one this small, it really is much cuter if you keep it in clumps no bigger than what Hank shows. Better to cut it up and use it as a border plant.

If I start showing "A" hostas, this one comes up pretty soon. I'm too lazy to edit right now!

Oh, I also find it funny that Hank didn't get this one until 1999! APM has been a good, dependable hosta for ages.

Also worth noting: didn't Martha Stewart (through K-Mart) sell an APM look-alike with the cutesy (but unregistered) name of "Cheesecake?" What's in a name? I'll certainly admit that Allan P. McConnell is a mouthful.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Looks fantastic ,Hank. I especially like it's form. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
New Topic Post Reply