Pic of the Day--Geisha/Ani Machi

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Geisha/Ani Machi

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Geisha, also known as Ani Machi, is an excellent variety and I wonder why it isn't mentioned more often in discussions. It has a good growth rate, passes the 20 foot rule, holds up very well until the end of the season, and has very attractive foliage. It's attraction to slugs is controllable. I have had the plant since 1997, growing in a spot that gets up to about 4 hours of direct sun in the middle of the summer and none in the spring and fall. It is still growing, if only just a bit. In the last five years it size has been 20x36, 21x41, 21x42, 24x46 and 24x44. Zilis lists it at 18x36.
-----------------
Edited to Ann to add this:

Registry - The hosta registered under the name 'Geisha' is believed to no longer exits. What is frequently sold under the name 'Geisha', is in fact 'Ani Machi' - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... ni%20Machi

MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Ani+Machi

Hosta Library - Not listed as 'Ani Machi'. You'll find it erroneously under 'Geisha'. http://www.hostalibrary.org/g/geisha.html
Geisha 62605c.JPG
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

I think we did bring it up in the "20-foot rule" post, as it clearly applies, especially in spring when it is one of the brightest things going. We like it a lot. It's showy early, holds nicely all summer, and blooms well, fairly late.

The story on the two-name problem: 'Geisha' was registered as a hybrid by Vaughn (1983), and described with similar coloration as this plant, but described as being low-growing with smaller, more rounded leaves (3" x 2"). Almost a mini. (and even a baby Ani Machi will have proportionally skinnier leaves than that) Since no one has seen that 'Geisha' for, well, forever (think of the Franklinia tree), it is believed "lost." But Ani Machi came in directly from Japan at some point, and the introducer of this new plant started calling it Geisha. Peter Ruh gets credit for finally registering Ani Machi. In last year's Hosta Show leaf competition, I noted that the classification chair accepted either name, but that put the leaves in different size classes.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Definitely one of my faves each year. I even sent my Secret trader one this year because I liked it so well and I hope she will too. :wink:
I love the twisting leaves.
I love the twisting leaves.
GeishaFrtCirBed5-13-06.jpg
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Each of your pictures are lovely!

Hank, I first saw a large, gorgeous Geisha at one of the nurseries we visited on the tour during your get-together several years ago and immediately decided I had to have it. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to like me. I've bought it twice since then, killed the first one and the second one is still struggling along. Whatever she needs, I must not be providing. But thanks to your pics and endorsements, I'll keep trying.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Great pics :D :D :D

Mine is lovely ... but sloooow

Do I have the other one :hmm:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Arlene

Post by Arlene »

Love all your pictures! I just added Geisha this year and am hoping she grows up to look like the ones posted above!
SUEDIA

Post by SUEDIA »

Hank, wonderfull Geisha, I just love this one. But can't seem to grow it. Jane G sorry to hear that you can't grow it either, but I was also wondering what the heck I was doing wrong. If you figure it out let me know. I am on my second one and it is very small. I have amended the soil gave it fertilizer and just can't figure it out. I will also keep trying as I really like this one also.
Sue
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Mary Ann was nice enough to bring me a large pot of it to St. Louis at the MW convention in 2003. It's been in the same spot since that summer & does just fine. I do nothing for it other than look at it and enjoy it. :wink: This year it's maybe 2/3 the size it was last year since it got zapped by the cold. It's probly about the size it was in 2005. It's a favorite of mine too.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

I love mine too!! Thanks for the great pic Hank.

Debbie
Carol

Post by Carol »

I love mine also. I've split it several times, but now I'm concerned about one of the splits having VirusX. There is no speckling, but about half of the leaves came up wrinkled this year. The plant is in an area that gets a few hours of sun. The other plant in full shade has no wrinkles.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Carol - that sounds more like possible cold damage earlier in the spring than any virus.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
New Topic Post Reply