'Blue Ice'

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
wzbt03

'Blue Ice'

Post by wzbt03 »

If you like mini's and have a place for them, then you have to love this plant.
'Blue Ice' is one of those that stands out from the other minis due to its color but would be lost in your hosta gardens otherwise.

A very very nice plant.

Hosta Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... Blue%20Ice
MyHostas Database - http://www.myhostas.be/db/hostas/Blue+Ice
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/b/blueice.html
Blue Ice.jpg
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

I have 'Blue Ice' too -- some people simply can't grow this one, but mine has done just fine. I'm going to scroll through my pics to see if I can find the one I just took. Phyllis
2007 6 13 Blue Ice.jpg
2007 6 13 Blue Ice.jpg (41.24 KiB) Viewed 3032 times
wzbt03

Nice one

Post by wzbt03 »

Yours is fantastic Phyllis!

It is a very unusual mini.
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Blue Ice

Post by ViolaAnn »

I acquired 'Blue Ice' last August. So far, it's doing well for me and I really enjoy it.
Ann
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

I'll have to jot that one down! I just love my little Cracker Crumbs that I got in the trade!! It has tiny little flower scapes on it now.

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
MAC_MN

Post by MAC_MN »

Got mine in 2005 as a TC
Multiplied very nicely in 2006 from 1 to 3 eye. Looked great.
Transplanted in fall of 06 and is the one and ONLY hosta that did not come back in this Spring. :x

I'll try again... but won't transplant.

Anyone else had this happen??

MAC
MAC_MN

Post by MAC_MN »

Got mine in 2005 as a TC
Multiplied very nicely in 2006 from 1 to 3 eye. Looked great.
Transplanted in fall of 06 and is the one and ONLY hosta that did not come back in this Spring. :x

I'll try again... but won't transplant.

Anyone else had this happen??

MAC
impatience

Post by impatience »

Mine up and died in no time flat. Usually it takes a few years for me to kill them.

Nice plants you both have there.
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Mine did come back each year, although it never seemed to grow any. This year it never appeared........or so I thought! But the other day I was out looking around and happened to see one tiny leaf that didn't quite break all the way through the ground, so I think I'm going to dig it up and see what's going on. Maybe I can save it afterall. Same for my Delta Dawn........thought is was a goner, but it's showing one tiny unfurled leaf. :roll:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
barbara

Post by barbara »

I had a 'Blue Ice' a few yrs. back. It lived, in the ground for a couple of yrs., then I lost it :( Not sure if the dogs dug it up, or I moved it and it died :-? Anyways, found 2 nice ones last year, for lack of time, stuck them in containers, and was surprised to see them come back this Spring, doing well. The one in the blue bowl is taking over, but since it likes it there, I'll take out the other 2 hostas keeping it company. :D
BlueIce2.jpg
BlueIce1.jpg
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

The ones I'm seeing here look great. :P I especially like yours in the blue pot, Barb. 8-) But I like the white of the other mini mixing in with it & highlighting it. You could plant some white bacopa around it next year after you take out the other minis. That's what I'd do anyway. :wink:

Mine still just has 2 divisions. I got it in 2004 & it was planted that fall. It's always looked good, just not in any hurry to increase. I moved it to a new location this spring. I'll let you know how it survived next year. :wink: I'll hope for the best since it was moved in May & it seems to be doing just fine in the new location. I've got a pic of it after the move, but none in Photobucket apparently. I'll post a pic of it after a bit.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Mine was doing really well until I moved it. It was becoming completely overgrown by larger hostas, and indeed was lost under there. I put it in the mini bed, where it had center stage. It did come back, and is now in the second year in this spot, but it's not growing. Last night I noticed that one eye had died. I'm going to sprinkle a little rose and flower care around it and get the pea gravel mulch replenished. Part of the difficulty may lie in the fact that I had a mole invasion in the mini bed last summer, and overnight they uprooted nearly all the plants in that area. I lost Peppermint Ice, Surprised by Joy, and nearly lost Cheatin' Heart before I realized that the poor things were laying on top of the ground. I got rid of the moles, replanted everything, and most of them are doing okay. Blue Ice just didn't care for being disturbed twice in one year. If this one dies, I may try again.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
John

Post by John »

I really like the color and thick leaves of BLUE ICE, but it just sits there and stares at me with its on eye, year after year...

I accidentally broke it off recently, so took advantage of that to move it to another location, in the hope it will prefer its new surroundings. I has already replaced all three leaves!
New Topic Post Reply