September Sun & Jade Moon

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
renaldo75

September Sun & Jade Moon

Post by renaldo75 »

I had a post ready to go the other day & then lost it all... I walked away from the pc to do something before I posted it. Too much time gone when I got back. I should have copied it & relogged into the forum, but I tried to go 'back' and couldn't so I lost it all... :roll: I shoulda know better. Anyway....

I walked out the door that morning to take some pics of Alex Summers in bloom & Jade Moon is opposite my back door at the rear of the bed now. No blooms open but the buds looked like white pearls so I took pics of it 1st.

Jade Moon links:
Registry - not registered
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Jade+Moon
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/j/jademoon.html

Jade Moon

September Sun is nearby in my August Moon family grouping. It's easily the largest hosta I've got this year in both height & width. [An Elegans is wider but not nearly as tall.] I just measured it & it's 25" H x 50" W. It's actually more of a dome-shape since it's so full. I don't know what I'll do with this one cuz it's already hiding a couple of heucheras. I like it big & I like it where it is, but I may have to reduce it in size some this fall cuz I don't want to redo everything else in this bed.

For September Sun, see also:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43867 and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55007

With Abiqua Moonbeam [left rear], August Moon & Dark Star [left rear] and Stiletto & White Wall Tire in front w/a little bit of June on the left side
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

I haven't seen Jade Moon before, I like it. Your Sept Sun is Awesome!!! Mine's been eaten by cutworms. :evil: Do you have your in much sun?

Debbie
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Thanks, Debbie. :P I got Jade Moon last year in a trade I did with PeggyC [when she was still RockinCPeg]. I had never heard of it until then, but I sure like it. I have a feeling that it's gonna be a lot bigger & better next year. It's an unregistered sport of August Moon.

September Sun gets quite a bit of afternoon sun from about 1 to 4 or 5pm. I think the margins would probly be a lot darker if it didn't get so much. You can see how dark Abiqua Moonbeam is in the one pic. I'm guessing if September Sun got the same amount of shade that its margins would be that dark.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Nathalie23

Post by Nathalie23 »

Wow! :o Your hostas are always huge!!! I love your September Sun. I will add it to my list! :D
Nathalie

I usually speak french so sorry for my mistakes in english
Nathalie23 Hosta List
maidofshade

Post by maidofshade »

You just moved them and now you'll have to move some again :-? I thought that only I do that :lol: Everytime I get a group to look the way I want it the darn things grow! i don't like empty spaces so I will be moving mine till I can't shovel anymore :roll: But then there are always the grandkids :wink:
I like the Jade Moon! And your September Sun is huge!
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

:o ! My sept sun is shrinking and no where near that size. Guess I need to move it. Maybe it's too close to the tree? :???:

Your hosta as usual as gorgeous! :D
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Thank you, ladies. :P

Maid - September Sun is the only plant in that area that hasn't been moved in the last 2 years. LOL So I guess it's time has come. :wink: Now that I think about it, it's one of only 4 hostas in that bed [not counting the row of Stilletto] that hasn't been moved to another spot or repositioned slightly. I originally planted the bed in 2003 when it and all of them were just little guys.

Jane - what kind of tree is yours planted near??
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

Ooohhh, your Jade Moon is doing great!! Mine is bigger than August Moon. My Polar Moon is probably the same size as your September Sun. Gorgeous hostas Reldon!
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Thanks, Peggy - you're in part responsible you know. :wink: I left enough room for Jade Moon to get as large as August Moon. I hope. It has done really well. So has Iron Gate Glamour, but it's still in the holding bed waiting for me to figure out where its new home will be.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply