Pic of the Day--Spilt Milk

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Spilt Milk

Post by Hank Zumach »

HI All--Spilt Milk created quite a sensation when it was introduced because of the unique misted foliage. Now, 15 years or so later, it still has no problem passing the 20 foot rule. The downside is that many people have had difficulty with the plant shrinking in size over time and, in some cases, eventually dieing. The mystery of why this occurs apparently has been solved by Chris Wilson at Hallson Gardens. Chris discovered that Spilt Milk needs to be planted deeper than other hosta varieties. Instead of having the crown an inch or so below the surface, Spilt Milk performs much better when the crown is 2-3 inches below the surface. This probably explains why the plant in our garden had problems each year and never got close to Zilis' listing of 52x24 for a mature plant. Slugs have only been a minor problem.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... ilt%20Milk

MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Spilt+Milk

Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/s/spilt.html
Spilt Milk 62605c.JPG
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Chris sent me this as a bonus plant this year. :D I'll have to check to see if I planted it deeply enough.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Always had this on my list and never have gotten one!

I like yours!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

I just love that hosta :D

Lost one - and an other due to crab apple roots and have a new one planted

Thanks for the reminder of the plant depth... did I remember that :hmm: ... better trow some more soil on it :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

thy wrote::hmm: ... better trow some more soil on it :wink:
I love you Pia!! :lol: It's words like *trow* that make me want to squeeze you!! :lol: :lol:

Hank, I love my SM, but did not know about how deep to plant.....Now that you say that, I'm thinking that is was a tad bigger before than this year.....But it's doing great so don't get me wrong....I will have to get a picture of it....

Thanks again for the POD's!! :D
hostaanita
USDA Zone: 6

Post by hostaanita »

It looks lovely. :D I can't find mine . I moved about 500 hosta last summer when we were going to relcate ...when I moved them back ...its among the missing . It might be there somewhere ..if not it'll be on my wish list..I really like that plant.
    Making our world beautiful , one backyard at a time.
    newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

What's that saying? No use crying over spilt milk? :lol: Well...my SM appears to have lost it's milk. :roll: Hank...Your's, on the other hand, looks gorgeous! :D
    ~JOAN~
    My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
    NWhosta4life

Post by NWhosta4life »

Thanks for the info hank. I also have been meaning to get this one but havent yet. Chris seems to figure out most of our problems it seems. :wink:
    tsneal

Post by tsneal »

I remember Chris saying that...it was the day of or the day after I had just lifted mine out of the ground a bit...ACK!!!

Stephanie
    Attachments
    Spilt Milk sm.JPG
    New Topic Post Reply