Pic of the Day--Invincible

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Invincible

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Invincible is the ideal hosta for all you slug lovers. :lol: Whoever coined the term "slug magnet" must have been looking at an Invincible at the time. Its too bad, because otherwise this would be a very nice selection. It has a good growth rate, attractive foliage, holds up very well in sunnier spots...but slugs absolutely love this variety. This pic was taken in late June 2005, before the onslaught began that year. The slimy critters have been eating it in our garden since 1994. Its size in recent years has varied from 55x21 to 62x27. Zilis lists it at 48x20.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... Invincible

MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Invincible

Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/i/inv.html
Invincible 62605C.JPG
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

I like Invincible. :D Yours is a beauty Hank! :cool: Mine had slug holes when I got it but it doesn't seem to get too many here. I guess for some reason the slug population isn't that high here.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

Slug h les? Wh t are y u talki g ab ut? :lol:

I really like Invincible too. Great form, color, sheen, seedlings, and FLOWERS. :)
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Very nice looking hosta, Hank. I do love the look of Invincible, but I know what you mean about it being a slug magnet. Although I will admit that it's appearance doesn't bother me much anymore, but that's probably because the poor thing is getting covered up by some of the larger hostas around it and I can't see much of it! That's probably why I don't have a pic of mine from the last several years. :lol:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

I think along with 'must have' list, I'm going to start a list that says 'Hank so no!' :lol: Just kidding of course, but man, there are those I think about getting till I hear how badly they preform in your beautiful gardens, and I KNOW they wouldn't stand a CHANCE in mine! :lol:

Nice pic though :D
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Jane--In general, I try to give objective information about how the various hostas have performed in our garden. The growth rates, sun exposure, and similar information is pretty straight forward information. The same can be said of things like slug damage, although that can vary depending on how much slug bait has been applied.

I try to use photos that are fairly representative of how a plant looks, as opposed to posting just the best looking photos I happen to have. When a plant usually looks bad later in the season, I will either say that or will post a photos taken when the plant has deteriorated.

I try to give a description of the plants that I wish the catalog writers would use so that we hobbyists would not waste money and effort on varieties that are unlikely to do well. With so many good hosta varieties available, why are poor plants sold?

Having said all that, some varieties that don't do well in my garden do just fine in other gardens.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
wzbt03

Later

Post by wzbt03 »

Later in the year this plant will be devastated by the slugs.

Nice plant otherwise. Perhaps the more hardy Nightlife will work out better......
Dare I say so?
New Topic Post Reply