Pic of the Day--Fried Green Tomatoes

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Fried Green Tomatoes

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Fried Green Tomatoes is one of several Guacamole offspring that we added to our garden. Growing in a spot that only gets an hour or so of mid day sun, it showned a very good growth rate after being planted in May of 2002 (1st pic). In 2002 it's size was at 18x13, in 2003 (2nd pic) it was 33x19, in 2004 it was 50x24 and then it leveled off to 51x24 in 2005 (3rd pic). Zilis lists it at 59x25. Slugs are a problem unless there is a routine application of bait

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... 20Tomatoes
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Fried+Green+Tomatoes
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/f/frgreentomatoes.html
Fried Green Tomatoes 62605C.JPG
Fried Green Tomatoes 6-26-03c 103.jpg
Fried Green Tomatoes 5-8-02c.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
Lessadragon
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by Lessadragon »

Hank, I find this has a good steady growth rate too. And one of mine is planted under a soft wood Maple and doesn't even seem to mind it. I think it's actually winning the root competition! :lol:
Yours looks great!

Lynn
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

As usual, your's is lovely! I need to send some of my hosta up to you to be taught better manners of pleasing it's gardener! :D
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Hank that is a beautiful Hosta

Post by oldcoot »

:D :D :D :D OC has two that appeared in his yard somehow or another, and thery really perform well, One of the best growers he has. Better than his Krossa Regal, but then it froze. OC just glad to see it is still alive
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
mmsgrv

Post by mmsgrv »

Hank, I really like how you've shown this hosta progressing with age.
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

mmsgrv--Thanks. In general, I have photos of our hostas starting in 2001, although I just use the ones from 2002 to the present. If the plants in the POTD are ones that were going through significant growth after 2002, I usually will show a sequence of years to show how the plant has changed over time.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
Justme

Post by Justme »

F.G.T. is one of my best preforming plants. I also have it under a Maple tree and it doesn't affect its growth rate. It also gets several hours late morning to mid afternoon sun and loves it. It appears to be lighter in color than yours becouse of that much sun.

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
New Topic Post Reply