Pic of the Day--A Many-splendored Thing

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--A Many-splendored Thing

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--In the titanic struggle among hosta pros to come up with the variety name that would be first in catalog lists, the originator of 'Aardvark' must have felt proudly smug. But creativity apparently knows no bounds in the world of hosta pros. How else can we explain the name 'A Many-splendored Thing'? Who would have thought that most computers consider a blank space to come before an 'A' in the alphabet? A hosta pro, that's who. BUT WAIT! An even more ingenious hosta pro came along with 'A B-10 Bomber' to move to the top of the catalog list! BUT WAIT! Who but a real pro amongst hosta pros would know that most computers put numbers before the letters of the alphabet? And so......"A 10 Hut' has found its way to the coveted top of the list of hosta varieties.

Even though it has fallen to third on the list 'A Manysplendored Thing' has behaved like a pretty darned good variety since I got it in 2002. Its attractive foliage even lives up to its name, at least in the first half of the season before its yellow coloring fades to a creamy white. Growing in a spot that gets little direct sun, it has had a steady, dependable growth rate. Its measurements have been 12x5, 19x7, 32x11, 35x14, 42x15 and 43x17. Lemke's Data Base, which gives the registration information, lists it at 43x24. The pix are from 2002, 2004 and 2007.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.php?id=9
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/A+Many-splendored+Thing
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/a/amany.html
A Many-splendored Thing 6-25-07c 059.jpg
A Many-splendored Thing 7-8-04c.JPG
A Many-splendored Thing 6-24-02c 117.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Very nice!

Hank? What is the light green cover around this? It doesn't fight with the hosta for room? IS this a ground cover, I assume? How do you keep it from enveloping your hosta?
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Hank,

The late Ed Elslager is responsible for the first seven (alphabetically) registered hosta names. (see hostaregistrar.org) A Many-Splendored Thing is #6 on that list. (not all are shown at hostalibrary)

He is also responsible for the last two registered names, 'Zydeco' (at least that's a real word) and 'ZZZZ, A Sleeping Beauty'. Ugh. Can you say obsessive? And can you believe that the registrar allowed such foolishness?

I'd wager A Many-Splendored Thing is the best of the lot.
Jaspersail

Post by Jaspersail »

Tigger wrote:He is also responsible for the last two registered names, 'Zydeco' (at least that's a real word) and 'ZZZZ, A Sleeping Beauty'. Ugh. Can you say obsessive? And can you believe that the registrar allowed such foolishness?
Actually, I believe it's "Zzzz" with initial caps--the registrar refused the name until Ed showed him the word in a dictionary.

Also, he didn't think "A 10-Hut" was registerable as a bastardization of "Atten", a military call to attention.

Ed did all of this with a big smile--he thought it was silly that people took naming so seriously.

Lastly, I'd take 'A B-1 Bomber' over any of 'em any day! Here are three plants I got from Ed's yard sale in June, including 'A B-1 Bomber'.

--John
Attachments
Eds_Jun07_9058_low.jpg
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Jane--That ground cover is sedum 'Acre'. As a ground cover it is OK but rather aggressive. It has a low enough profile that it does not override any hostas except minis or very small ones. The shade canopy of most hosta varieties keeps the sedum from encroaching onto the hosta crown area.

Dave--Thanks for the correction. If I'm still doing the POTD a year from now, I'll use your information.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Interesting info about the names and your AMST is beautiful, Hank! I've always liked this one too, but everytime I go out and weed around it I find myself humming "Love is a Many Splendored thing"! :lol:
Attachments
AManySplendoredThingFCB6-05.jpg
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Joan--Just wait for about 10 days when I do the plant "Satisfaction". You'll probalby find yourself doing a Mick Jagger imitation. :lol:
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

On 'Zzzz, A Sleeping Beauty':
The hosta 'Sleeping Beauty' was at our local nursery today. I don't think I'd ever seen it. Turns out it was registered by Walters Gardens in 1997, five years before Ed's 'Zzzz…' Now I'm really puzzled as to why the registrar allowed the name; you wouldn't call that confusing?

'Sleeping Beauty' looks nice; similar to 'Turnabout' that we bought recently.
New Topic Post Reply