Pic of the Day--American Halo

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--American Halo

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--American Halo is another of our 2002 purchases. It is growing in a spot that gets an hour or two of direct sun. If American Halo was listed as a medium sized variety, my plant would have a normal growth pattern. However, Lemke's Data Base lists its mature size as 70x22. Considering that, I have decided that my plant probably has one of those vague "TC defects" that seem to occur with disappointing regularity. Either that or this variety has a really slow growth rate. My plant's measurements have been 12x4, 22x9, 29x10, 31x12, 41x14, and 30x10. I do like its blue coloring which in most years has held up until late in the season before turning green. As with all of the plants in this area, slugs have not been a problem due to a routine application of Deadline MP. The pix are from 2002, 2004, and 2006.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... can%20Halo
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/American+Halo
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/a/americanhalo.html
American Halo 7-8-04c.JPG
american Halo 6-24-02c 136.jpg
American Halo 6-26-06c 029.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Very nice , Hank! I had one planted for two years, I think, but it bit the dust this last winter/spring. Tough year for many of my plants. Darn crazy weather!! I'll probably replace it some day, but not in a hurry since I do have several others that I need to find a permanent bed for. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

It looks like your plant is nicely corrugated this year, Hank. I passed on this one, since I already had Northern Halo and Northern Exposure. Do you have either of them, and how does AH compare?
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

American Halo should have a wider border than Northern Exposure. I think Northern Halo has a narrower border than Northern Exposure, but my NH drawstrings really bad and looks trashworthy.
I invented that word 'trashworthy' just now, by the way.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Thanks, Dave. Too bad your Northern Halo drawstrings. Mine was gorgeous until it suffered from drought followed by cold exposure a couple of years ago. Now it's starting over, and is a pretty small plant.
I'm thinking if the border on my Northern Exposure was any wider, it wouldn't have much blue/green left. Mine does seem to have somewhat wider borders than most of the pics in the Hosta Library. Here are a couple of pics from the last 2 years.
I have a few 'trashworthy' plants here, but for some reason I keep them. :roll:
Linda P
Attachments
This is Northern Halo from a few years ago.
This is Northern Halo from a few years ago.
Northern Exposure May 25 06.JPG
Northern Exposure May 25 06.JPG (53.22 KiB) Viewed 2527 times
Northern Exposure May 20 07.JPG
Northern Exposure May 20 07.JPG (51.99 KiB) Viewed 2527 times

My Hosta List
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi Linda--I'm finally replying after a long weekend of visiting family. I don't have Northern Halo. My Northern Exposure is a very nice plant that I prefer to American Halo. As you know, NE has a nice yellow edge in the spring that gradually turns creamy. Here is a pic of my NE.
Attachments
Northern Exposure 6-25-07c 062.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Thanks for the reply, Hank. Your Northern Exposure is wondrously enormous! I had to move mine a couple years ago due to tree root competition, and it's finally recovering. Can't wait til it gets that size!
Linda P

My Hosta List
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

Trashworthy, compost toast, gardenage ... all great descriptions for stuff that shouldn't be in the garden or in the trades for that matter.
I do not enjoy spending hard-earned money and buying plants that look nasty in the garden. I have rather a long list I won't purchase again.
Helen
A day without laughter AND gardening is a day wasted ... oh ... and be kind to your children ... they will choose your nursing home!
New Topic Post Reply