Pic of the Day--Inniswood

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Inniswood

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Inniswood is a great variety for those with patience, as it is a slow to develop plant that becomes very attractive. Since 1998 I have had mine growing in a spot that gets a couple of hours of afternoon sun. It is planted at the base of a mature tree and so has some strong competition for water and nutrients. Starting in 2001 it has measured 28x13, 33x13, 36x16, 37x17, 44x22, 50x18 and 39x21. I have no explanation for this year's drop off in size. Zilis' listing is 48x22. It has very good slug resistance.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... =Inniswood
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Inniswood
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/i/inn.html

The photos are from 2002 and 2007.
Inniswood 6-25-07c 012.jpg
Inniswood 6-25-07c 012.jpg (49.38 KiB) Viewed 2598 times
Inniswood 6-24-02c 148.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
combellack

Post by combellack »

I have always felt that this plant is a tad underappreciated, It can light up a shady corner as well as any plant. One of my favorites for sure.
Mark
LET'S TRADE HOSTA contact me at combellack@netzero.com
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

I have bought this 3 times, because the first one looked so much like September Sun... and it still does 3 years later. It had to be mislabeled. The second one looks like Sept sun also... but not as old as number 1... the third one looks like Inniswood finally.
And to boot, I bought Janet but have always doubted that it was correct after seeing it in gardens. My maturing Janet now looks exactly like the purchased Inniswood, so maybe I have several of them. I hope so! now to get a real Janet :lol:
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Dave-If it helps, here is the way my Janet has looked.
Janet 6-26-03c 264.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

Very nice Hank!
In Janet the leaves are rounder and I notice a variable width to the margin. Both look great!
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

It is a slow one, but mine is finally showing some flash. This is a pic from last year, not the best pic. It's larger and prettier this year, one of a few that hasn't been daunted by the wild weather swings of the spring, or the wind, or cutworms, or lack of rainfall.
Linda P
Inniswood, Grn Wdg, PacBluEdg June 18.JPG
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I love this hosta! I need to get a picture....(Don't I always say that??) I did get my Praying Hands and my Ice Age Trail, just need to have time to load them on here....again, work in the morning at 5am.....I will....I hope my Inniswood is the right look....I got it in my very first hosta trade.....It's big.....

Thanks Hank!! :D
Arlene

Post by Arlene »

Well, I'm feeling a little better about mine . . . maybe it just needs more time. Loved seeing the pics of your mature ones!!
Eleven
USDA Zone: 6a

Re: Pic of the Day--Inniswood

Post by Eleven »

Mature 'Inniswood', pic taken July 4th:
~Shawna
New Topic Post Reply