Pic of the Day--Snow Cap

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Snow Cap

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--The discomfort of having to look at my Loser's Lane plants comes to an end today. Today's plant is the most deserving of the title of "Least Deserving". I am speaking of Snow Cap, of course. I know that there are some folks out there who are successful with plants like Color Glory or Undulatta, but does anyone actually have a nice Snow Cap? For me, the plant produces very few leaves and by July they become rotted away and by the end of August it looks like what you see in the pic.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... Snow%20Cap

MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Snow+Cap

Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/s/snowcap.html
Snow Cap 8-30-02c 209.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

I shot this years ago at Amber Wave Gardens in Benton Harbor, MI for the hostalibrary. Snow Cap was an incredible plant! Unfortunately, I have never seen a better one. They all end up looking exactly like yours in loser's lane. :cry: Whatever they did at Amber Wave, they knew how to grow it!
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Oh Hank, put that thing out of it's misery! :eek:

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
wzbt03

Losers Lane

Post by wzbt03 »

Oh no Hank!

This one looks so promising now - how long till it catches the bus to Losers Lane?
Snow Cap.jpg
Snow Cap.jpg (38.91 KiB) Viewed 3044 times
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Seems to me like late July to early August is when it starts looking nasty to me. Here's a pic of mine from a couple years ago.
Attachments
SnowCapNFBAug16.05.jpg
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
greenguy

Post by greenguy »

I saw one at Ruh's place that is a total knockout - sorry no picture
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

Mine looks OK so far. but I am way behind on photographs.
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Hi Hank,
Sorry for the late reply to this post but I wanted to wait till the heat of summer hit to show mine.. I've had this one in the photo planted since 2003 and it looks great here. There is a little damage but that's expected with the heat we've had. I'll post 2 photos and add the dates.. I'm wondering if this is another problem that people have with bad batches of tc's.

Photos Taken 5-19-07
Plant Shot

Leaf Shot

Photos Taken 7-30-07
Plant Shot

Leaf Shot
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Jaime--Yours looks like I wish mine did. :lol: Its almost hard to believe that your plant and mine are the same variety. Mine must have some different genes than yours.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
Primroselane

Post by Primroselane »

Mine looked terrible and I put it in a container and kept it watered a lot, then it got so good looking that I planted it back in the ground and now after about two years looks terrible again.
Lucille
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Although mine is still small, I have notice over the few couple years, it's done much better during the years where I've had time to attend it with a LOT of water, like at least daily, soaking thoroughly. It's shaded for the most part also by a fence and gets little if any direct sun most of the summer.
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Maybe that's the secret then....it needs lots and lots of water. If that's the case, then mine better just go ahead and kick the bucket ,because I am NOT going to be out there watering it every single day. I'm not going to run my well dry trying to keep a tempermental hosta happy. You gotta be tough to survive my garden. :lol:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Glad I don't have this one! :o
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Hi Hank,
That's what most others have said when they seen the pics :lol: :lol: ..

What get's me the most is this get's full sun for about 4 hours and the Minuteman behind in less sun looks like total crap. The edges on Minuteman are melted away and look like what your pic of Snow Cap does. I water this bed once every 2 weeks, but I do water for about 3 hours in that area.
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

Hank,
That reminds me of my Frances Williams .. it did great until it got older and then no matter what I did it just looked ratty ... same thing with Patriot/Minuteman and all those "duds" on the market.
I am so glad you share your disappointments with us ...
Helen
A day without laughter AND gardening is a day wasted ... oh ... and be kind to your children ... they will choose your nursing home!
New Topic Post Reply