Pic of the Day--Mama Mia

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Mama Mia

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--If you are looking for a unique, eye catching variety that will draw nice comments from visitors, you should try some variety other than Mama Mia. However, if you are looking for another green centered, white edged, medium sized that plant with not very good substance that will slowly, slowly fill up a vacant spot, Mama Mia will fill the bill. Mama Mia is another variety that was added to our garden in 2002 and put in a spot getting an hour or two of afternoon sun. I suspect this may be an example of a tissue culture plant with some sort of defect since some folks reported having success with this variety while others have had the same kind of performance as my plant. It has measured 10x5, 12x4, 14x6, 9x5, 16x4 and 20x6.

Registry - not registered as of Nov. 2012
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Mama+Mia
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/m/mamamia.html

The pix are from 2002, 2004, and 2007.
Mama Mia 6-25-07c014.jpg
Mama Mia 7-8-04c.JPG
mama Mia 6-24-02c 125.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Hi Hank~

I know this is one of the hosta that a lot people don't like, but I've always found it to be rather a cute although little hosta. It's only 18x9 here, but it's not given much more room than that between two others, so it fills the small space nicely while never really getting direct sun at any time, as it's under the canopy of a large tree also.

Still, I love the look of it, just wish there were more of it! :D
DSCF4936-copy_edited.jpg
DSCF4936-copy_edited.jpg (49.9 KiB) Viewed 1968 times
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

This hosta should have been named 'Mama Mia!!!' ...
Hank, another lovely photo as usual.
This hosta can be finicky ... thus it fits into my hosta growing category of "Iffy But Worth It" ... when this hosta is in the right spot it's a beauty!
These are photos from 2005 from May to the end of July when mine bloomed.
Helen
Mama Mia 5-24-05.jpg
Mama Mia 7 30 05.jpg
Mama Mia in bud 7 18 05.jpg
A day without laughter AND gardening is a day wasted ... oh ... and be kind to your children ... they will choose your nursing home!
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi Jane & Helen--So...there are some really nice versions of this plant out there! :D Why can't they all be above average like yours? :lol:
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
hagranger

!

Post by hagranger »

Ah Hank!
You know it's always a crap shoot whether or not you're going to get a keeper!
Blue Ice (sobbing and wailing inserted here) has been my bane of existence in the hosta world.
There are so many people successfully growing it and I've had it about five times now and it just curls up and dies! I think there is some genetic programming in it that produces poison whenever I touch one! (That's my story and I'm sticking to it)
I'm not going to give up on it though!
Helen
A day without laughter AND gardening is a day wasted ... oh ... and be kind to your children ... they will choose your nursing home!
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Helen--My Blue Ice lasted for 3 forgetable years before it died. It is one of only a very few varieties that did not make it here.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

Hank,
Blue Ice (insert wailing and crying) has been the bane of my hosta existence for years ... It is one of those plants that has intrigued me and one day (insert heroic music) I vow that I will triumph!
Helen
New Topic Post Reply