Pic of the Day--Chantilly Lace

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Chantilly Lace

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--If you remember the song by The Big Bopper, Chantilly Lace, you should have retired by now. If you have the hosta, Chantilly Lace, you have a very good, dependable variety with easily controlled slug problems.

The question about this variety is about the expected size. We added Chantilly Lace in 2001 and put it in a spot that does not get direct sun. It's size in 2001 was 18x10 which became a much fuller clump of 18x8 in 2002. In the next 3 years it measured 20x11, 23x13 and 27x15. The size of our plant is much larger than the 14x9 listed in the Hosta Library, Lemke data base and Wade & Gatton. However, it is smaller than Zilis' usually very reliable listing of 40x16. In these daily postings I have often mentioned similar differences in available size information. I recognize that individual growing conditions have a very strong influence on the mature size of a given hosta variety. However, it seems to me that there should be a more reliable system than the one currently available to hobbyists, growers, and retailers. Any suggestions?

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... lly%20Lace

MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Chantilly+Lace

Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/c/chantilly_lace.html

The pic is from 2007.
Chantilly Lace 6-25-07c 024.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
VThosta/daylilylover

Post by VThosta/daylilylover »

I do remember Chantilly Lace but shouldn't be retired by now! (Am semi-retired but still looking for work!)

I guess you'd have to decide upon the definition of 'mature size'. Is it the maximum size a hosta can grow to? Is it the size that x number of eyes achieves in x number of years? It probably needs to be the same for all hosta. I think your method of following the plant over a number of years is reliable. This will probably vary by area to some extent and could be so noted. (ie grows to 47" in zone 6-9, 35" zones 3-5).
What might work is having local hosta societies find people willing to compile the information. They would have to measure the hostas themselves to ensure accuracy. Maybe work down the popularity poll and do the top thirty a year with members submitting their information... It would be a start.
There probably are a number of top growers such as yourself who are known and who could possibly serve to edit the information to ensure that it is reasonable.
Perhaps the people behind the Hosta Library would welcome having some of their information "certified" by a special group.
Just some ideas off the top of my head.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Chantilly Lace and a pretty face, and a ponytail, hangin' down...a wiggle in the walk and a giggle in the talk makes the world go round, round, round...
Oh, sorry.
Yep, I guess you could say I remember the song (maybe not completely accurately!!!) and I also remember the day the music died. I was sitting in the 5th seat in the first row, Mrs. Marx's 7th grade class, behind Carolyn Morrow when the word was passed from one kid to the next. Someone heard it on the radio in the morning and it was whispered throughout the school by noon. So sad.
For some reason, this is one of my favorites of the smaller green and white hostas....though I need to move mine. It's being overshadowed by some that grew MUCH larger than I thought they would.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

I like it! Even though I was an itty bitty (not yet a year old)when Buddy Holly died, I was at the impressionable age of 14 when American Pie and 'When the music' died came out! And I'm still far from 'retirement'.

Is that still an option? :roll:
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
New Topic Post Reply