Rainy days

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Linda P

Rainy days

Post by Linda P »

'Antoinette' and 'Warwick Essence'

It's been so wet and rainy, and now the air is unbreathable, so I'm inside again today!
Thought I'd see if I can find some pics to share that I haven't posted yet.
Linda P

'Antoinette'
Hosta Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... Antoinette
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Antoinette
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/a/antoin.html
This is a view of some of the beds in my back yard.
This is a view of some of the beds in my back yard.
'Warwick Essence'
Hosta Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... %20Essence
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Warwick+Essence
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/wx/warwickessence.html
I like the colors in this combination.  The little hosta off to the left is Warwick Essence, new last year.
I like the colors in this combination. The little hosta off to the left is Warwick Essence, new last year.
I didn't expect to like this hosta as much as I do.  It's making a really tidy clump, and is beautiful in bloom.
I didn't expect to like this hosta as much as I do. It's making a really tidy clump, and is beautiful in bloom.
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

A nice surprise to see Blackfoot in someone else's garden! Lovely pics.

We're suffering the rain here, too, although I can't complain after seeing what happened up Hank's way! The cold is the more strange thing. We needed a blanket this morning!
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Beautiful! Sorry you are house bound, but glad it gave you time to post some pics! :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
VThosta/daylilylover

Post by VThosta/daylilylover »

Lovely pictures! The yard looks very inviting!
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Re: Rainy days

Post by Spider »

Wow! The last photo looks just like my Grandfather's yard would look if they had hostas instead of wildflowers.

Awesome.
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
jobranch
USDA Zone: 7B

Post by jobranch »

This is crazy weather. We are in our third week of 100 degree heat with almost no rain in that time frame. It is brutal. I know you would send me the rain if you could. Love the pictures, especially the garden scene.

Jeff
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi Linda!!

Beautiful pictures!! And I can say I have seen them gardens in the last picture, and they are just that pretty or prettier in person!!

Thanks for sharing, as I have been bad this year with pictures or even downloading them when I do take them..

Thanks again! :P
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

Linda, It has been a bear, hasn't it? :( Rains here at night, then gets up to 90 ish during the day. I put on a T-shirt to wear this morning and was sweating getting ready to go. I'm going sleeveless until this ends! At least I don't have to water....I feel bad for saying that.
I feel terrible for everyone that is flooding, or has had flood related damage. I have been there.

I want to ask a question....my inlaws made a statement about "close air" in our situation. Ever heard that phrase? We were trying to figure out where it came from...but the description fits!

Linda, you're place looks great, as usual! Thanks for the pics!
Rox
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I've heard the phrase "close air" also and it surely does fit! When the air is so "thick" that you feel as if your head is enclosed and you can't get a good breath. Feels that way a lot when it is so hot and humid. Our rain is moving out now and the temps have risen again and the humidity right along with it. I feel for those persons with lung/breathing problems.
Linda...your gardens are so beautiful. A real breath of fresh air......which is what we need about now. :wink: I used to have Blackfoot,but it up and died after one year. Yours is lovely. And the Antoinette is lovely too! I know someone by that name ,so I'll have to be on the look out for it. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Lovely pics Linda! :cool: Antionette is very pretty. I like your Warwick Essence combo too. I have to agree with LucyGoose, that beautiful view in the last pic is even prettier in person. :D
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

:cool: Great shots! Love the Antoinette! I've never seen that before! And that last pic is gorgeous! Also, gives me more inspiration for a large expanse of lawn i've been mowing! :D

Great growing!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Thanks, everyone. I started sneezing just moments after I got offline yesterday, and by last night I was down with a doozy of a cold. No fun having an upper respiratory bug in this crummy weather. Thank goodness for air conditioners.
Close air...yep, I've heard that. My mom used to say it all the time. I guess I just knew what she meant and never thought to wonder where the expression started.
Tigger, I don't think I've ever seen Blackfoot growing in anyone else's garden either. People always ask about it. I got it in one of the secret trades, but somehow managed to lose the name of the person who sent it to me.
My garden is pretty much overwhelmed with weeds at the moment...toooooo many of those 'close air' days (on a dairy farm they're even worse) when I can't stand to be outside. It's nice to look back at the pics I took when it was all clean!
Linda P
This is the center of the big bed that runs through the lawn south of my house.  There were 3 large old elm trees here when we moved here, but they succumbed to Dutch elm disease about 17 years ago.  I started planting trees and large shrubs, and now I ha
This is the center of the big bed that runs through the lawn south of my house. There were 3 large old elm trees here when we moved here, but they succumbed to Dutch elm disease about 17 years ago. I started planting trees and large shrubs, and now I ha
This is what you see if you stand in my front yard and look to the west.  This path goes past the pool.  That's Antionette in the lower left corner of this pic.
This is what you see if you stand in my front yard and look to the west. This path goes past the pool. That's Antionette in the lower left corner of this pic.
Here's one of the grass paths you can see in the previous pic.
Here's one of the grass paths you can see in the previous pic.

My Hosta List
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

oops...ran out of room on that last description. I meant to say, now I have enough shade for a hosta bed.
Linda P

My Hosta List
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

:o Gorgeous gardens! When can you come and help me plan me plan mine out! I love those paths! That's exactly the feeling I want in mine. Meandering, what's around the corner, surprise and curiosity abound! Just beautiful! Thanks soooooooo much for sharing them! Now, explain to me, what to do first! :lol:

So sorry about your cold! I started with one in the middle of a cup of tea saturday evening. Thougth for sure it was the Tai tea (a sample) in my chamomile container. I'd never tried this type before and I started coughing horribly, nearly choked. Next morning, my ears, eyes and nose are full and the cough continues. Have you tried thera-flu? It does really help in this humidity to loosen that stuff and get through the nights. Hope you are better soon.
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

Rainy Days

Post by Marlys »

Hey, Linda,

I used to hear, "The air is awful close" from my grandparents too.

I too, have suffered from sinus / allergy / chills / aches. Actually spent nearly the whole day in bed last Thursday. I am usually never sick. Still suffering with sinus headaches, congestion, scratchy throat for post-nasal drip. Claritin, Sudafed, & XS Tylenol have been my best friends lately.

Your pictures are wonderful. I so wish I could have attended your Hallson Hosta Happening. Next summer all I'll have to do is walk across the road to Trudy's, Holland Drive Garden.

I am all ready laying awake nights thinking about what shape my gardens will be in next summer when the Hallsonites are in town.

This year has been just awful but as always, sure could have been worst. The rains have been wonderful for us recently but the heat & humidity is overwhelming. When true gardeners stay in the air conditioning, we all know it's bad!

I've been editing my hosta list. I got motivated as Connie D & I visited Jackie aka Hostaaddict recently. We had a short garden tour in the morning, after a fun taco lunch Jackie fixed for us, we 3 girls spent the rest of the afternoon working on Jackie's Hosta List. It was just too HOT to be out even in the Shade Garden.

Hope your spring secret trade plants are doing well in your garden. Mine from Wanda are doing good! I'm really liking both of them, Crested Surf & Bud Is Wiser.

Thanx! for sharing your gardens today.

MM
Willowy

Post by Willowy »

Linda, Your pictures and your gardens are lovely. Do you by any chance have a list of the trees and shrubs you added to your gardens? I'm working on a couple projects now and am doing a lot of research to get up to speed on trees and shrubs. It looks like you have a lot of nice specimens in your gardens!
a.k.a. hostabuff
My Hosta List & My Blog
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

I hope you don't mind, I copied and pasted your photos to my Garden Design Inspiration file. Your garden is just lovely and what I aspire to at some point.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Great Idea, Calioo! :wink: I just started a folder for the same thing! Hope YOU don't mind me copying! :D Either of you! :lol:
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

Beautiful Gardens Linda!!
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Beautiful gardens! Just gorgeous! I am really enjoying looking at them since mine look so terrible this year because of the freeze. Thanks for sharing!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
New Topic Post Reply