Pic of the Day--Blue Plate Special

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Blue Plate Special

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--The term "Blue Plate Special" refers to a meal, usually served on a single plate in a diner, that might be described as hearty but certainly not fancy. It might be the meal for the common man. Today's variety, Blue Plate Special, lives up to that name. The plant can be described as a good, versatile variety that does not draw much attention to itself. It also has problems passing a 10 foot rule, maybe even a 5 foot rule, since its blue, rounded, puckered leaves could belong to a number of varieties. Even its expected mature size is listed as "medium". Since getting the plant in 2002 and putting it in a spot that gets little direct light, its measurements have been 9x5, 16x6, 23x12, 25x12, 36x13 and 37x14. Even the slugs pay no special attention to this one. The pix are from 2002, 2004, and 2006.

Registry - not registered as of November 2012

MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Blue+Plate+Special

Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/b/blueps.html
Blue Plate Special 6-26-06c 059.jpg
Blue Plate Special 7-8-04c.JPG
blue plate Special 6-24-02c 153.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

:cool: This is one of several that I received last year in the secret trade #2. It was planted in full shade last year, but we lost our patio roof and it's been in full sun this entire hot and dry summer! Surprisingly, it's done well, except for the color is more green with some yellow cast in it, it has faired remarkedly well and has a grown a little to nearly 15X9. So it IS something the 'common' gardener can enjoy easily too! :D
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
VThosta/daylilylover

Post by VThosta/daylilylover »

This is very nice. It does remind me of my 'Love Pat' (new this year). I'm just learning so am not too up to date on sizes, just recognize general shapes somewhat. Thank you for your postings. I've learned a lot from them and try to note the differences between what you show and the plants I'm aware of. It's so good to see the progression each plant makes!
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

Some of those leaves do resemble dinner plates. (I've not eaten all day, can you tell?)
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
New Topic Post Reply