Can you believe.....

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Pieter

Can you believe.....

Post by Pieter »

...how good these first year 'Maui Buttercups' still look? I received them from a list member in trade back in July and of all the ones I have they are the only ones not showing ANY signs of senescense. Am I correct in assuming that if it is this late going to sleep, is this variety also a late riser in the spring?

Hosta Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... Buttercups
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Maui+Buttercups
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/m/mauibuttercups.html
PA060808.jpg
PA060808.jpg (32.89 KiB) Viewed 3001 times
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
creatingadream

Post by creatingadream »

Ahh, that explains why my Rainforest Sunrise still looks so good! It's a sport of Maui Buttercups.

Diane
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

Diane, Rainforest Sunrise is a better plant to begin with. Here is one case I can think of where a sport is better than the parent....I assume because of the green border.

Pieter, I want to see a pic of those in a year or two....!
Maui Buttercups dwindles away here. It might be a pot culture vs planted in the garden thing too. I can't seem to grow it. Do you have any that are planted in the ground.
Are they doing as well? :P
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

My MB is in the ground in the sun bed...In case anyone doesn't know, I lost 2 trees.....and MB looks like crap for sure there.... :(
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

Rox, I do not have any planted in the ground right now. When I received the plant I divided it in two, potted them, and they both have grown quite nicely over the two and a half months I have had them. I was quite taken with them when I received them, never having seen one prior to that. The leaves are nicely puckered, they have very good substance and they're yellow (duh..). The only other thing I could ask for is for the flowers to be fragrant, but you cannot win them all. I made sure they had plenty of water after I divided them, the #1 pots were put in non-perforated seedling trays that were topped up every 2nd day with rainwater for the first month. After that they'd get watered every 3 or 4 days. By keeping them hydrated like this the leaves never gave as much as a hint of going limp after the division, I was impressed.

Seeing as you grow this as well, is it an early or late riser in spring?

Yes, I will undoubtedly post more pictures of it next year, if for no other reason than that this cultivar has worked its way very quickly up my list of favourites. I will probably allow one to grow on undisturbed, the other will likely get Rossized.
Pieter

Pieter's Hosta List
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

Pieter, I don't pay alot of attention to when my Hostas come up in spring. I just know once they start, it's only a matter of time before they are all up and growing! :P
digs57

Post by digs57 »

Hmmm.... must admit, MB is one of my faves too. I dug one of mine up this summer to split it - :wink: - and despite the disturbance plus very shoddy watering afterwards (I tend to ignore those of my hostas growing in front of the house) - it's still gorgeous! Go figure: beauty is only gene deep!

My second one is growing in more shade and consequently is much greener. There might be a message in that for me (.....mooooove meeeeee..... moOOOOOoVE me.....).... oops, am I hearing things!? 8-)
...greening up the Great White North!!!

Digs' hosta list
45° 22' N 75° 43' W, 114 metres (374 ') above sea level.
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

is this variety also a late riser in the spring?
Digs, I know you have more than 1 MB :) , so you should be able to answer my question....And you're right, that 2nd one should move to a sunnier spot. It's like Feather Boa in that regard, it turns a nice shade of yellow in the sun.
Pieter

Pieter's Hosta List
digs57

Post by digs57 »

You know, you're right, Pieter! I didn't even realize it, but I DO have a record of my MB in spring. I found a photo of my northerner&shadier MB from 13 May 07 - and for Ottawa's climate, that makes it NOT a late riser - it's about on par with all other middle of the road hostas here. This would suggest that my "driveway MB" would be rising about the same time or a shade earlier.
Maui Buttercups 13 May 2007 North side of house
Maui Buttercups 13 May 2007 North side of house
...greening up the Great White North!!!

Digs' hosta list
45° 22' N 75° 43' W, 114 metres (374 ') above sea level.
New Topic Post Reply