Hosta 'Coldheart'

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Roxanne

Hosta 'Coldheart'

Post by Roxanne »

Hi! Does anyone know anything about this Hosta? I can't find any info on parentage, but it does have white backs, so it must have hypoleuca or pycnopyhlla in it somewhere.

It's new here in the garden this year, and it was pretty small when I got it earlier in the season, but it has grown very well. Now the darned thing has decided to bloom!! I imagine it's because it's because of the strange weather we had this year. I had pods set on some of my streaked plants, and they bloomed again, so I have new and older pods on plants like CT Gala. If anyone has this Hosta, please let me know if yours is blooming this late.
Thanks, Rox

Hosta Registry - not registered
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Cold+Heart
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/c/coldheart.html
pic is from today
pic is from today
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Roxanne,

All I could find was that it is Hosta 'Cold Heart' (2 words) and it is a seedling from Alttara. No parentage listed, but those in her group do tend to like white backed seedlings.

I have a ton of hostas blooming really late here, and only a couple of them are their normal bloom times. I would guess this is an unusual late bloom on this plant.
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

Thanks Chris, I knew it was Alttaras plant, and I got the spelling from the Hosta Library. When I went to Foosf, I saw it's 2 words. So, I am going to have to wait and see when this plant really does bloom normally. Might be fun to see what late bloomers I have out there for pollen and try to do the sugar water thing with the scape indoors! :P
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

Mine hasn't bloomed, Rox.
barbara

Post by barbara »

Mine hasn't grown, Rox :cry:
New Topic Post Reply