Pic of the Day--Ice Age Trail

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Ice Age Trail

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Today's plant raises a number of questions. What is the definition of the word "variety"? I have usually thought of a hosta variety as a group of plants that all have very similar, if not identical, characteristics that remained the same over years. If that is true, what do we call the group of plants such as the one called "Ice Age Trail"? It was given as a gift plant to those who attended the Midwest Hosta convention in 2002 and has since made it into the market. It is an unstable, streaked plant and so the grower does not know what its appearance will be for at least several years. It may be that the plant will never settle down and have the same variegation pattern. If and when the plant does settle down, is it then a unique "variety" that should/could have its own name, something other than "Ice Age Trail"? Inquiring minds need to know. Does anyone have the answers?

The appearance of Ice Age Trail in our Friendship Garden has done what might be expected. Its has had different variegation in each of its two years. It did not produce any seeds but if it had I would have grown them because Ice Age Trail has produced some nice variegated seedlings. With measurements of 12x7 and 13x8 it has shown a growth rate slower than what might be expected for a plant that should be medium sized at maturity. But then, what is "maturity" for this kind of plant?

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... ge%20Trail
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Ice+Age+Trail
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/i/iceagetrail.html
ice Age Trail friendship garden 6-25-07c 044.jpg
Ice Age Trail g 9-20-06c 049.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

So far I like mine. Here's what it looked like in 2006 when if was new and this past season. Slow growth rate. I will move it to a location with more light in the spring and we'll see what it does.
July 2007
July 2007
July 2006
July 2006
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

It is so sloooow, but I love it. After 3 years mine is a nice full plant wwith the size..very small/small ... think I will look for a mature sixe in 2012 or so :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

HI--For those who are interested in detailed information about the proper usage of "variety" and "cultivar" and "species", etc., I suggest you go to the hostapix list at Yahoogroups.com W. George Schmid and Bill Meyer have posted very comprehensive messages there in response to my Pic of the Day--Ice Age Trail.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Here is mine..... :cool: I got it from Chris!
s 005.jpg
s 004.jpg
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

I really, really want on of those!!!! It is just soooo cool looking!! :bd:
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
New Topic Post Reply