Pic of the Day--Moonstruck

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Moonstruck

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--I'm a bit worried about the Moonstruck that we have growing in our Friendship Garden. Its mature size is listed at 18x12 and the photos of it in the Hosta Library show dense clumps of foliage. Our plant has only measured 5x4 and 4x3 in its two years and the number of leaves is somewhat sparse. On a positive note, it is a cute little thing and a welcome addition to the garden, regardless of size.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... Moonstruck

MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Moonstruck

Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/m/moonstruck.html
moonstruck 6-25-07c 068.jpg
moonstruck 6-25-07c 068.jpg (48.33 KiB) Viewed 3387 times
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Moonstruck was new to me last spring and at first seemed to be doing very well. But by mid July, it was showing signs of melting out in the centres of the leaves and by mid-August, all of the leaves were in bad shape - bad enough that I couldn't bear to keep any pictures of it.

Next season I'll try moving it to a darker location to see if that helps. Any other suggestions?
Moonstruck in mid-July with several leaves melting out.
Moonstruck in mid-July with several leaves melting out.
Moonstruck in June
Moonstruck in June
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Moonstruck is one of my prettiest hosta, it's growing in bright shade.
Attachments
Moonstruck.jpg
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

That's pretty, Mary Ann. I'll hope for the best when I move it next spring.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

I moved mine to a shaded spot, it didn't like to be moved, so it took an ugly year :lol: Next year it was beautiful
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
barbara

Post by barbara »

Very bright shade, no issues. good grower :) . sorry, can't find a pic. :(
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

Does anyone have it in dark shade? I've got such a spot that I keep moving hostas out of because they aren't doing especially well.
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

I've got it in bright shade, too, and it has done incredibly well for a plant of its type.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Think you can call my space dark shade... I am up (very) North and it only get a little early morning sun- shade from a fence the rest of the day- I tis in the same sun conditions where Knock Out and the rest of the sun intollerant hostas looks good...and the real blue have problems with the wax
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
sugar

Post by sugar »

mine takes quite some sun and does amazingly good, aprt from the fact that slugs like it. Has grown very well from 2006 -> 2007 (1->5 eyes)

This picture was taken on July 15th
toymr2mk2

Post by toymr2mk2 »

Mine was in a bright shade location where it grew very well but it was a mess by the end of the summer. This year I moved it to a spot where it got full sun mid day for an hour or two but bright shade the rest of the day. It is still in the same pot I put it in 4 years ago. I did water this area more than the area it was previously in. It did much better in the new area with much less melt out. This is the opposite of what I had expected it to do. I just wanted to try something different with it. I wish Singing In The Rain would do half as well. Next year I will move SITR next to Moonstruck and see if it will improve. These two and Eskimo Pie are the worst I have for melt out.
Art
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

Moonstruck grows well for me, I really like it.
The reverse is Dress Blues for those of you who like families as I do. These are Zumbar introductions.
I divided off a blue sport that is growing well.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

To ViolaAnn, I think that if the dark shade location has trouble with other hostas, this one might night do well either. Although it is a fantastic grower that tends to hold up well through the season it is still a middle variegated plant so it might need more moisture than others. Mine are planted in open but full shade and they have grown really well plus have held up really well. It was one of the best looking plants in the fall.

I've also had problems with Dancing in the Rain melting out, but have found that the more moisture I can give them the better they do. I haven't had any problems with melt out in Eskimo Pie, but then, they don't really grow much.

And Hank, I hope that your plant starts to grow more for you in the future. This one is worth it :)
Last edited by Chris_W on Nov 12, 2007 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dee
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Dee »

Oh, all of those pictures are pretty! I have one, but it's in maybe it's second year? and isn't quite so remarkable. I actually forget it's there - kind of hidden under a weeping redbud. I should probably move it to a brighter spot. I don't think I have a pic to share, but I'll look around a bit in my files and see. :)
ViolaAnn

Re: Pic of the Day--Moonstruck

Post by ViolaAnn »

Just looking at the pics which I posted several years ago and I find that the size of leaves on my 'Moonstruck' is now quite a bit smaller than it was back then.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
New Topic Post Reply